Swordtail Fish Won't Give Birth

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by KateLorraine, Aug 26, 2019.

1. KateLorraine

KateLorraineNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    5 years
    I have a two female swordtails, one is squared off and both had enormous gravid spots. I was told that the smaller one could be storing her eggs/fry in the sperm sacks? I was worried that it was stress preventing them from giving birth, but I don't know what could be stressful. I have a semi heavily planted setup so plenty of hiding spots.

A look into my tank:

10 gal
    Switched fish to this tank about a month ago
    Has a fluval aquaclear 5-20 filter
    Does have a heater
    24 C° & 74 F° temp.
    Stocking :
    3 otocinclus
    3 Platies (1 male, 2 females)
    2 female swordtails
    4 5ish month old swordtail fry

Maintenance
    Water changes once a week
    30% water change
    I use SeaChem Prime as a declorinator and api stresscoat
    I vaccum the substrate, not just changing water.

*Parameters - Very Important
    I cycled my tank partially with fish in
    Tested my water parameters earlier today (Aug. 25)

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    pH: 7.8
    (So fully cycled)

Feeding
    I feed my fish twice a day, morning and night, as much as they can eat in 5 minutes. I use Omega one freshwater flakes. I haven't been feeding dried or frozen foods, I've been trying to feed them vegetables such as cucumbers and green zucchini, but they don't seem interested.

Symptoms (if any)
    my swordtails do bounce off of the rocks and show signs of maybe an illness and/or stress. They chase each other rarely. It could be an overstock issue if any, but it's weird because I used to have a male swordtail harassing the females, another grown swordtail, and lots of fry that I rehomed due to the overstock issue.

2. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,070
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, the tank is very overcrowded for Swordtails. I will put a single female Sword in a 10 gallon tank full of Guppy Grass so that she can drop fry in a calm, isolated place. Not surprised that they don't want to drop in that tank.

3. Lauryn

LaurynNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    Just started
    I am still fairly new but I am not sure your tank is fully cycled, if it was I think you should have some nitrate reading; also I have read before that fish bouncing off substrate could be a sign of bad water quality (hardness\chlorine).

Recently I posted a query as I was not sure if my swordtail was pregnant or bloated, someone suggested a salt bath if she was pregnant for longer than a month as it could be parasites. I never tried that as she gave birth shortly after.

Hopefully someone more experienced can verify and hopefully you get fry soon (the one i saw was super cute until it got eaten)