Swordtail Feeding Habits

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are swordtails "aggressive" eaters? I previously had mollies and would consider them very boisterous and "aggressive" eaters and was wondering if swordtails were similar in that sense.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, they can be aggressive eaters as well. But when I look at the strains I've got overhere, it varies.
Overhere a video of a wild swordtail strain (Xiphophorus helleri Rio papaloapan) and a wild molly strain (Poecilia salvatoris). I gave them an adhesive food tablet. Watch how fast they are moving. But if I look at some other wild swordtail strains overhere, like X.alvarezi or X. yucatan... those are much more subtle when it comes to eating. So, it really differs...
And the next one shows, some younger swordtails eat a lot more relaxed from a sinking food tablet.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My swords are non stop eaters .
I am sure they can be aggressive ,just offer enough to satisfy them ..

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed replies! I am looking for something to add to my 120 gal as I need to re-home my rainbowfish. I have a blood parrot with a deformed mouth that is difficult enough to feed and with the rainbowfish torpedoing everywhere he was too overwhelmed at feeding time. Ive always like swordtails but it looks like they may not work for me either.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads