Swordtail Can’t Swim

abarb
coralbandit
Do you know about your water hardness ?
Swords like harder water and sometimes soft water does not help them .
Otherwise my latest reading indicated that some swim bladder issue are bacterial ?
No clue on meds .

abarb
Gh is somewhere around 8 and kh 6. It is also hiding but I never saw chasing besides when I feed them. No nipping

abarb
What should I do? Move her to a breeder net so she can get food?

coralbandit
I had a hard time tracking down the exact med recommended ,but this was it .

coralbandit
My reading said the combo in the fix sulfa was what was needed ? It is 800 mg sulfa and 160 mg trimethoprI'm ? I was actually just researching swim bladder issues .
Hard to say though .I am not sure anyone cures swim bladder ?
Sometimes it just goes away like it showed up ..

abarb
Do you know how it would start suddenly? It was swimming normally yesterday.

coralbandit
I have no real clue .The article I read suggested it was a bacterial infection .
Anything seems to possible of causing a bacterial issue from outright infection being introduced to something so simple as stress or diet ?
Even possibly a live food could introduce issues ...Some still think that of any tubifex worm today .

abarb
I haven’t fed any live food. I did have a fish that couldn’t swim for a few weeks after moving to a new tank. It is swimming normally now.
It hasn’t been eating because it’s hiding under a piece of wood. If it doesn’t eat for a few days or a week should I do something?

abarb
It’s still hiding and can’t swim. It hasn’t eaten. Should I move it?

abarb
The swordtail can swim fine now. Could it have been from reducing nitrate too fast? It went from 40-80 to 5-10 in a few days because I did a lot of water changes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hayden2205
Replies
Views
abarb
Replies
Views
MomeWrath
Replies
Views