Swordtail Attacking Guppies

kathew

I bought two male swordtails today and one is going after two of my guppies. One yellow male guppy and one yellow female guppy. Do swordtails try to mate with guppies? The female guppy is fine because she's fast but the male is slower and got his tail nipped a few times. I fed my fish and he calmed down a little but he's still chasing other fish in the tank. I read that guppies and swordtails are good together, so what's going on. Does he just have a temper or is he still settling into the tank? If he doesn't calm down do you think my lfs will exchange him for a calmer one? I don't want him killing any of my fish

kathew

616c844486e19d99946fae7cc5703a2e.jpg

This is what he looks like. There's only one orange one that's his reflection in the back, my tank has a mirror back.

Al913

What size tank? What is the stocking?

chromedome52

Where ever it was that you heard Guppies and Swordtails can be kept together, I would not go back to that person for any more advice. Swords are too boisterous by nature to be kept with a small, relatively slow fish like a guppy. They get large, and male swords are territorial in nature. Someone may have had juvenile swords, or stunted swords that got along for some period of time, but normally I would expect exactly what you have seen: Male sword chasing Guppies.

kathew

I just think it's strange he only goes after the yellow male guppy and not my colorful male guppy. The two male guppies are always swimming side by side and the swordtail will separate them and chase the yellow one

Al913

If these are male then yes male live bearers can get aggressive to one another! If this becomes too stressful then I do advise you to rehome the aggressive male. Sometimes if a fish gets picked too much it will get stressed and die

kathew

I thought he was mellowing down for a little bit but now he's just picking on my snail which is almost twice his size. The other male swordtail is pretty peaceful. I may trade the aggressive swordtail for a female. What's the female to male ratio for swordtails? I don't mind a few fry here and there.

Al913

Livebearer give birth to 20-40 fry on average!!! Wouldn't say that's a few. Also females can store sperm for up to a year and will reuse the sperm 2-4x so even if you remove the male it will still get pregnant.

kathew

Wouldn't most of the fry get eaten if I just left them in the main tank?

Top Bottom