Swordtail Aggression

dancerhas
We've had our Male Swordtail (Dagger) for a little over a month. Just today he started attacking our Male Platy (Red) They were going at it tooth and nail for a few minutes before we separated them and put Dagger in a breeder net. We figured it would be better to remove him since he was the aggressor, as well as the new member of the tank. Later I put him back in and he immediately attacked Red, so back to the breeder he went.

The most recent changes to the tank were the loss of our Topsail Platy (Spike), one of our female swords giving birth, and one of our female platy's having her fry in a breeder box.

I really have no idea what to do with him. I don't want to condemn him to an existence inside a net...but I don't want to risk the health of our other fish by letting him run wild. My brother expressed an interest in starting a fish tank recently...so he may end up being adopted.

I've never encountered a situation like this before. Our Tiger Barbs would chase each other some...but this is way more dangerous... these two were kicking the crud out of each other.

Advertisement
Nick G
Platys and Swords can interbreed, so he could maybe be seeing Red as a rival for breeding rights, try taking him out and then re-arranging the tank decor, this sometimes works with aggressive fish.

Advertisement
bettafish2816
yeah I agree with Nick Goody. I would take him out of the tank and put him in a cup for maybe twenty minutes, rearrange the tank, and then re-introduce him. if this continues to fail, if you have another tank that he could stay in for a few days or even a week, and then re-introduce him again, that may work as well. if that doesn't work he may need to be adopted

dancerhas
Unfortunately due to our current stocking arrangement (CAE's) we have to keep the decor a certain way. Perhaps we could remove our large bridge ornament...

Mike19
Unfortunately due to our current stocking arrangement (CAE's) we have to keep the decor a certain way. Perhaps we could remove our large bridge ornament...

I guess you could add a few new ones in. how long have the swordtail and platty been together and when did the aggression start.

Fishlover423
I agree with nick goody, but I have never seen a swordlty or a platale lol, wonder how they look

2lucky
Maybe you could get 3 more swordtail females? That would certainly keep him occupied anyway! Are they similiar colors? Sometimes fish hate other fish that look similiar to them....
good luck!

dancerhas
I agree with nick goody, but I have never seen a swordlty or a platale lol, wonder how they look

haha, I know...I think it'd be cool....but they're practically identical fish anyway.

Right now we're on the edge of being overstocked...once we move the CAE's we'll have more room for stocking adjustments.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
remy113
Replies
Views
FishyFan2018
Replies