Swordtail Acting Strange.

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Hello, I have a Male and Female Swordtail and my Female is acting quite weird. She is only staying at the top of the Aquarium (They both used to always be on the bottom). Both of them aren't eating or acting normally. I don't know what is going on with them and its quite worrying to see them both not eating and the Female staying at the top of the Aquarium in the current all the time. She did drop fry two Weeks ago Saturday night (Or at least I think, I haven't seen any but then I do have two Freshwater Eels that could have eaten the Fry).
Thanks! Have a nice day.
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
Armypro said:
Hello, I have a Male and Female Swordtail and my Female is acting quite weird. She is only staying at the top of the Aquarium (They both used to always be on the bottom). Both of them aren't eating or acting normally. I don't know what is going on with them and its quite worrying to see them both not eating and the Female staying at the top of the Aquarium in the current all the time. She did drop fry two Weeks ago Saturday night (Or at least I think, I haven't seen any but then I do have two Freshwater Eels that could have eaten the Fry).
Thanks! Have a nice day.
Hello there,
What are the tanks parameters and what else is in the tank in them, besides the eels and what type are they (the eels)
 

tk27

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know about your water, and how the fish is looking right now but having a male and only one female can stress her out. they can breed like rabbits, the male will always be on top of her, and she can't handle that, atleast most of them cant. The stress can be enough to make her sick faster or even kill her. having two females can help to have less stressed fish. I keep two females with one male, and they both are doing really well.
maybe you can take a picture of the fish?
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
tk27 said:
I don't know about your water, and how the fish is looking right now but having a male and only one female can stress her out. they can breed like rabbits, the male will always be on top of her, and she can't handle that, atleast most of them cant. The stress can be enough to make her sick faster or even kill her. having two females can help to have less stressed fish. I keep two females with one male, and they both are doing really well.
maybe you can take a picture of the fish?
As stated above both are not eating so we this proves both are stressed. After finding about water parameters we can narrow it down.
 

tk27

New Member
Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
6
Experience
More than 10 years
oh yeah I guess I misread it. its already late here, and with some awesome dyslexia it can make me look stupid. I had good intentions though.

but you are right ed204, those parameters can be usefull. A picture would be helpful aswel.

I hope you are able to find an answer armypro! atleast faster then I can get back online.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
As stated above both are not eating so we this proves both are stressed. After finding about water parameters we can narrow it down.
I don't have a test kit (I will hopefully be getting one soon). I did a water change 2 days ago so I assume the parameters are alright. They both were doing this when I got the water tested and the results were great other than the PH. Them not eating is really stressing me out (They have a ton of personality and I'd hate to lose them), all the other fish are eating fine. I have been overfeeding a bit to make sure some flakes got down to them (I've tried Frozen Bloodworms and Frozen Brine Shrimp as well and no luck), it does benefit the KuhlI Loach before I move two days from now. There hasn't been a change in their appearance at all so I don't see how a picture could do any good. My Tetra is battling some presistant Fin Rot in there as well but it hasn't spread to any other fish. I did see my Female Swordtail rubbing against one of the Bamboo Plants but hasn't really done it again, I also saw my Half Banded Spiny Eel doing this. Hasn't done it again.
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
Armypro said:
I don't have a test kit (I will hopefully be getting one soon). I did a water change 2 days ago so I assume the parameters are alright. They both were doing this when I got the water tested and the results were great other than the PH. Them not eating is really stressing me out (They have a ton of personality and I'd hate to lose them), all the other fish are eating fine. I have been overfeeding a bit to make sure some flakes got down to them (I've tried Frozen Bloodworms and Frozen Brine Shrimp as well and no luck), it does benefit the KuhlI Loach before I move two days from now. There hasn't been a change in their appearance at all so I don't see how a picture could do any good. My Tetra is battling some presistant Fin Rot in there as well but it hasn't spread to any other fish. I did see my Female Swordtail rubbing against one of the Bamboo Plants but hasn't really done it again, I also saw my Half Banded Spiny Eel doing this. Hasn't done it again.
Hmm, not so sure about this. I'm going to pass this down to the more experienced members chromedome52 Anders247 CindiL
Sorry I can't help, and I hope you find your answer!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
Hmm, not so sure about this. I'm going to pass this down to the more experienced members chromedome52 Anders247 CindiL
Sorry I can't help, and I hope you find your answer!
Its entirely fine! She isn't just staying up top near the Filter Outtake and is swimming around a bit more.
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
Armypro said:
Its entirely fine! She isn't just staying up top near the Filter Outtake and is swimming around a bit more.
That's good then. Did this behavior start before you did the water change?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
That's good then. Did this behavior start before you did the water change?
Maybe a week or so back, ever since she dropped her Fry (Or aborted, do hope not) she has been doing this. I wouldn't think that would affect anything but maybe so.
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
Armypro said:
Maybe a week or so back, ever since she dropped her Fry (Or aborted, do hope not) she has been doing this. I wouldn't think that would affect anything but maybe so.
But she's doing better after the water change rights?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
But she's doing better after the water change rights?
If only so, she has been acting almost the same and hasn't been eating unfortunately, same with the Male who just let about 10 flakes float right past him last night while he stayed there to greet me. In a true sense of my luck the morning after I posted this I can't seem to find her now, did see her a bit today. I'll try some Frozen Brine Shrimp tonight (I try and feed them at 8:00 PM every day), they used to love that. Not sure what else to do if that doesn't work. I'm going to try and find some Live Bloodworms for my Half Banded Spiny Eel since he seems to be becoming a little picky, not sure where I'd get them. Do hope they get better, its stressing me out quite a bit to see them like this.
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
Armypro said:
If only so, she has been acting almost the same and hasn't been eating unfortunately, same with the Male who just let about 10 flakes float right past him last night while he stayed there to greet me. In a true sense of my luck the morning after I posted this I can't seem to find her now, did see her a bit today. I'll try some Frozen Brine Shrimp tonight (I try and feed them at 8:00 PM every day), they used to love that. Not sure what else to do if that doesn't work. I'm going to try and find some Live Bloodworms for my Half Banded Spiny Eel since he seems to be becoming a little picky, not sure where I'd get them. Do hope they get better, its stressing me out quite a bit to see them like this.
Alright, The people mentioned above will be happy to help you, once again I'm sorry because I could not help and I hope they get better soon.
Best of Luck!
-Edward
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
Alright, The people mentioned above will be happy to help you, once again I'm sorry because I could not help and I hope they get better soon.
Best of Luck!
-Edward
Thank you! That makes two of us.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Something just happened. My Female Swordtail is laying on the gravel on the bottom of my Aquarium. Is there anything I can do? Should I try and get her to eat some food? She is barely moving at all. I don't know what could have caused this. She is breathing very heavily as well. I'm afraid this may be from starvation.
Strange Swordtail.jpg
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
Armypro said:
Something just happened. My Female Swordtail is laying on the gravel on the bottom of my Aquarium. Is there anything I can do? Should I try and get her to eat some food? She is barely moving at all. I don't know what could have caused this. She is breathing very heavily as well. I'm afraid this may be from starvation.
Strange Swordtail.jpg
Do you use dechlorinator to purify your water during water changes?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
Do you use dechlorinator to purify your water during water changes?
Always, sometimes I accidently use a bit too much but haven't done a water change in a while.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
Do you use dechlorinator to purify your water during water changes?
Should I try and get her to eat? She hasn't in maybe a week. I hate to see her like this.
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
Armypro said:
Should I try and get her to eat? She hasn't in maybe a week. I hate to see her like this.
You can try hand feeding her and see if that's works.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
Armypro

Armypro

Active Member
Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
You can try hand feeding her and see if that's works.
Success! I got her to keep a bit of the Frozen Brine Shrimp down and she ate a bit of the flakes. There's a lot on the bottom so I hope the Male Swordtail will grab some as well. Is there anything I can put her in to avoid her boisterous tank mates (Especially the Male Swordtail, he cares a bit too much trying to prop her up and get her swimming again, may be a little counterproductive)? The weird thing is my Eel came up to her and I had to nudge him away from her. Could I put her in a Breeder Box or something else? The Eels are much more active at night and I don't want them doing anything to her.
 

Ed204

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Location
Jakarta
Experience
2 years
Armypro said:
Success! I got her to keep a bit of the Frozen Brine Shrimp down and she ate a bit of the flakes. There's a lot on the bottom so I hope the Male Swordtail will grab some as well. Is there anything I can put her in to avoid her boisterous tank mates (Especially the Male Swordtail, he cares a bit too much trying to prop her up and get her swimming again, may be a little counterproductive)? The weird thing is my Eel came up to her and I had to nudge him away from her. Could I put her in a Breeder Box or something else? The Eels are much more active at night and I don't want them doing anything to her.
A Breeder Box will do fine temporarily, I used a breeder box to house a nasty Blood Parrot who attacked his fellow BP.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
273
Guests online
3,155
Total visitors
3,428

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom