sword tail or platy or both?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Fish' started by fletch, Sep 14, 2005.

1. fletchValued MemberMember

I have what I thought was a swordtail. Its definately male and its about an inch long. It has a realy long top dorsal fin (about 3/4 the length of its body) but it doesnt show any signs of growing a sword. can you get long finned platys? I realy hope its a sword tail but Im not sure. Is there any sure way of telling platys and swords apart?

2. onelovieValued MemberMember

Maybe it is a Hi Fin Platy, or a female swordtail (they do not grow swords)?

3. JasonWell Known MemberMember

If it hasnt grown a sword by now I doubt its a swordtail unless the parents interbred from platies and Sword's to form what you've got. It's probably a Hi fin platy like onelovie said. and I know you know how to distinguish a male and a female livebearer so it must be a male platy

4. OP
    OP
    f

fletchValued MemberMember

Ok, thanks for your help. I may put a pic up here so people can say for sure

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Would love to see a picture. My friend has sailfin mollys that are gorgeous.
    Carol

6. JasonWell Known MemberMember

I see a lot of salfin mollies around here, how big are they cause I know they get quite large for a livebearer

7. joeValued MemberMember

I have a high fin platy it is probably what u have and also sailfin mollies can get up to 4 in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice