sword tail or platy or both?

1. fletch Member Member

I have what I thought was a swordtail. Its definately male and its about an inch long. It has a realy long top dorsal fin (about 3/4 the length of its body) but it doesnt show any signs of growing a sword. can you get long finned platys? I realy hope its a sword tail but Im not sure. Is there any sure way of telling platys and swords apart?

2. onelovie Member Member

Maybe it is a Hi Fin Platy, or a female swordtail (they do not grow swords)?

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

If it hasnt grown a sword by now I doubt its a swordtail unless the parents interbred from platies and Sword's to form what you've got. It's probably a Hi fin platy like onelovie said. and I know you know how to distinguish a male and a female livebearer so it must be a male platy

4. fletch Member Member

Ok, thanks for your help. I may put a pic up here so people can say for sure

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Would love to see a picture. My friend has sailfin mollys that are gorgeous.
    Carol

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

I see a lot of salfin mollies around here, how big are they cause I know they get quite large for a livebearer

7. joe Member Member

I have a high fin platy it is probably what u have and also sailfin mollies can get up to 4 in.