Sword plants Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Gamer, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

I have a light fixture with three 36w bulbs over my 47 gallon column tank. I am wondering if the following swords especially the last type will do good under that amount of light in such a deep tank (30" high): Amazon swords, ozelot swords and pygmy chain swords.

I use aquarium plants freshwater planted substrate (amazonian color), no CO2, and currently no ferts but am considering dosing Flourish Excel.

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Most swords are heavier root feeders than leaf feeders so they need either rich plant substrate or root tabs to feed them through their roots.

Carol

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

The lighting will be no problem for the Ozelot Sword. Wether or not it is enough for the "Amazon Sword" depends on what Sword that actually is. Nearly all Swords are refered to as "Amazon Swords" so it is difficult to tell for sure. Usually what are listed as "Amazon Swords" are E. Bleheri or E. Cordifolius. The Cordifolius would be fine, the Bleheri would be borderline but I think should be ok. The Pygmy Chain Sword really needs brighter light though. You could probably still grow it but it will be taller & not as dense as if it were grown under more intense lighting.

Rigging up a DIY co2 set up will work out cheaper than dosing Excel so I would recommend you going the DIY method. Also use root tabs as Butterfly mentioned. Especially for the Pygmy Chain Sword. The other Swords will benefit greatly from using tablets to but make sure you use them on the Pygmy even if you don't use them on the others.

4. NejiValued MemberMember

I have heard about the same thing too :) They like having a lot of iron at their roots right?

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Not necessarily just iron but a balance of nutrients.
    Carol

6. NejiValued MemberMember

Ah I see. So they need all types of nutrients? Do some fertilizers still have phosphate in them? I know people said phosphate used to be in the laundry detergent in until it was banned in the 70's or so because of the mass algae growth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice