Sword Blooming?

Robes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!

I just fully redone my 29 gallon, pulled everything out new substrate etc whole deal. I put back in my sword after trimming back the roots some and less than a week later i have what appears to be a bloom stalk? Its coming out of the water now and im not sure what to do with/about/for it if anything?

TYBma-19ZzH-_xVDV9lbp-CkVdxj9kOVRQA6SsyK53-5T627gDciWyh9a2mcSQ5K8lSITF2fL&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm... terrestrial leaf plants will often stop producing pretty leaves if they are allowed to bloom. Heuchera is one example. I always cut off the flower stalks to keep them pretty. Maybe swords are the same way? I can see some yellowing leaves on your plant. This may indicate the plant is giving energy to the flower instead of the leaves.
My vote: Cut off the flower stalk.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
12Cin12 said:
Hmm... terrestrial leaf plants will often stop producing pretty leaves if they are allowed to bloom. Heuchera is one example. I always cut off the flower stalks to keep them pretty. Maybe swords are the same way? I can see some yellowing leaves on your plant. This may indicate the plant is giving energy to the flower instead of the leaves.
My vote: Cut off the flower stalk.
I was thinking about considering the same as well as cutting the yellow leaves off so the plant isn't trying to repair leaves that are already too far gone and the plant can focus on new growth. Unless that is a runner that decided to head north on you in which case i would try to keep it submerged to see if it shoots off any runners. Either way it looks like your plant is quite happy in your water so far! good luck!!

Robes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just to update here since i ended up forgetting i even have a pc for awhile. I decided to not cut it and instead let it grow and turns out it grew new plants! Every few inches of the stem after it got heavy enough to fall back into the water has a new sword growing! All in all right now theres 6 new plants.

85YoI00GtNPc_vS1E-LcrhL3mbX9aT0JnxQNtMQ7IAtGhAiSD7OBug0QrWr-zG36qqjZfHpcZ&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Robes said:
Just to update here since i ended up forgetting i even have a pc for awhile. I decided to not cut it and instead let it grow and turns out it grew new plants! Every few inches of the stem after it got heavy enough to fall back into the water has a new sword growing! All in all right now theres 6 new plants.

85YoI00GtNPc_vS1E-LcrhL3mbX9aT0JnxQNtMQ7IAtGhAiSD7OBug0QrWr-zG36qqjZfHpcZ&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg
Excellent. You have an Ozelot Sword there. My Ozzie’s do the say thing and I don’t cut the runners. See picture below.

IMG_3647.JPG

The leaves on the runner will eventually grow roots, and then I cut the stems and harvest the new plants and plant them in my other tanks.

So congrats.

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Robes said:

Yay! Free plants! Also, I love your ivory mystery snails- So pretty they look like pearls

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom