Swollen Zebra Danio

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Dunk2, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Sorry, the pictures aren’t the best. You’ll understand if you ever tried to take a picture of a Danio. :banghead:

Anyway, I have 6 of them, and this one is often swollen (no pineconing of scales). I’ve had all 6 for about 6 weeks. There are also times when it’s not swollen. My tank is cycled and the water parameters are very good. Even when it’s swollen, the fish is very active and hangs right in there with the other Danios.

Although I only feed the fish small amounts twice a day (rotate between flakes, brine shrimp and bloodworms), I’m leaning toward overeating.

Any thoughts?

D6F78636-8E26-4A66-A317-FA9EFC43C197.

B4527DD7-5A9D-4208-9DE1-0FF63C79D90A.

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Experience:
    2 years
    Like you said as fast as they are i'm sure your experiencing them darting around like missles during feeding time. I would cut your feeding to once a day. It's also possible it could be a female with eggs. They drop the egss but with 6 zebras in there i'm willing to bet most all of the eggs are eaten before they reach the bottom.

3. OP
    OP
    Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Yep, missles at feeding time pretty much sums it up!

Thanks for the feeding tip. I’ll tell them it was your idea. :)

If she was pregnant, would she be swollen so often? Like every other day or 2?

4. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'll take 100% blame. As far as the swollen not too sure. Try the less feeding routine and see if the swelling goes down and let us know how he/she looks in a week. But be sure to be strict about your feeding don't cheat and say to yourseld i'll just give em a tiny pinch :) Fight the urge and watch em instead. And also you can take a turkey baster and stir up the tank a lil bit and they will probaby be the first to find the little nooks and crannys that get swished around.

5. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +261
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Is it possible you are seeing more than 1 female swollen with eggs and they are just taking turns?

6. OP
    OP
    Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    It’ll be tough, but I’ll try the once a day feeding. I hope they don’t revolt!

7. OP
    OP
    Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    I don’t think so. The swollen Danio (even in unswollen form, if that’s a word) is quite a bit larger than the others. Pretty easy to distinguish him or her.

8. OP
    OP
    Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    I thought I was the only one who used a turkey baster (but not for your suggested purpose)!

I use it for “floaters” between water changes. And for the Thanksgiving turkey, of course. ;)

9. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just don't use the same baster for your tank and turkey or your guests will know there is something fishy about your recipe ;)... But yes using a baster between WC's and sending waste and gunk towards the filter intake is pretty helpful. It's also helpful on WC day to send as much gunk into one corner of your tank and then send the siphon down and you'll have gonnen a majority of the waste without draining a ton of your tank water. even though i still like to do 60-70%WC's weekly.