Swollen cheeks, under eyes.

• Thread starter Zeemonkey1610
  • Start date

Zeemonkey1610

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 55g
How long has the tank been running? 4 months
Does it have a filter? Yes, Marineland (exact model unknown)
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 3 Platy/Molly mutts, 14 peppered Cory cats (8 adults 6 babies), 7 neon tetras, 2 black neon tetras, 7 cherry barbs, 1 mystery snail, 1 horned nerite, 1 tiger nerite, maybe 20 pest snails.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every week
How much of the water do you change? About 10%
What do you use to treat your water? Stress coat+
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum bad spots once a month

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, with used substrate, decir, and filter.
What do you use to test the water? API master kit
What are your parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? About a gram or so
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Tetra flakes as well as hikari sinking pellets and algae wafers.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4 months, all came from established tank and I just adopted it.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? One plotty has swollen cheeks, right under the eyes. The eyes are not the swollen part so I'm mega confused.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, having a hard time separating him. Master at hide and seek.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I'm aware of.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? It literally is swollen just under the eye and stops kinda by the bottom of the mouth.

He used to be the bully of the tank, but started hiding the passed month. This last week, he's been hiding close to the ground. Them 2 days ago, I noticed he started to get swollen cheeks. It's gotten progressively worse and both sides stick out probably a whole centimeter. It is almost transparent cheeks.
Pictures came out no good and video is wrong format. Will upload as soon as I figure it out. Nothing else notable besides swelling and hiding more.
Thanks so much in advance if you've stuck with me this far. I kept the template, made it easier as this is my first fish issue.
-Xena

20200823_005933.jpg20200823_005938.jpg

Zeemonkey1610

Update: Swelling has gone down on both sides of his face. Didn't even put up a fight this time about moving tanks. Any input would be great.
-Xena

Attachments

JustAFishServant

Hmm, I see. A very strange growth. And you said it's gotten smaller? To me it looks a bit like a Lymphocystis (aka "Cauliflower Disease"), but this viral infection is quite rare and usually progressively gets larger. It almost looks like fish Exopthalmia (aka "Pop-eye"), but the eyes don't look inflamed or cloudy. My last guess is it's a starting ulcer, where the scales slowly fall off and expose the muscle underneath.

I would highly suggest relocating him to a clean, warm, barebottom hospital tank where he can receive 24/7 care. All of these diseases that I mentioned above are due to poor water quality as well as stress. Maybe one of the other fish got fed up and attacked him, where the surrounding bacterias in the water then infected it. Your tank *seems* cycled, but that doesn't mean that it's not dirty. All tanks need a bit of detritus, algae, and general "sludge" to help create an effective ecosystem, but too much is a major issue. One problem you may be having is the substrate. Pea pebbles from areas like ponds, rivers, and streams are highly effective to keeping a healthy ecosystem. They're fine enough to allow for proper bacterial growth in the substrate but still course enough to allow a safe environment for the inhabitants. The gravel that you seem to use is artificial, polished pea pebbles. Since they're often polished and don't have very many crevices, the good bacteria has a hard time penetrating through the actual rock. Some pea pebbles are also too course, allowing for poop and detritus to get trapped underneath. This makes it hard to vacuum out the detritus. And though detritus is good and is a very important part in a naturalistic style aquarium (especially Walstads), it's not so welcoming in an artificial, sparsely-planted tank. If I were you, I would highly suggest throwing out all the artificial stuff and replacing it with natural decor like rocks, plants, driftwood, leaf litter, etc. But I understand that not all have the money or patience to deal with this, so at the very least I recommend adding more live plants and doing more water changes (either 10% weekly or 25% monthly, unless you decide to make it a Walstad in which you'll only have to do a 10% water change once every 3-6 months). Hopefully this helps you a bit! Good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful day ;)

Zeemonkey1610

JustAFishServant said:
Hmm, I see. A very strange growth. And you said it's gotten smaller? To me it looks a bit like a Lymphocystis (aka "Cauliflower Disease"), but this viral infection is quite rare and usually progressively gets larger. It almost looks like fish Exopthalmia (aka "Pop-eye"), but the eyes don't look inflamed or cloudy. My last guess is it's a starting ulcer, where the scales slowly fall off and expose the muscle underneath.

I would highly suggest relocating him to a clean, warm, barebottom hospital tank where he can receive 24/7 care. All of these diseases that I mentioned above are due to poor water quality as well as stress. Maybe one of the other fish got fed up and attacked him, where the surrounding bacterias in the water then infected it. Your tank *seems* cycled, but that doesn't mean that it's not dirty. All tanks need a bit of detritus, algae, and general "sludge" to help create an effective ecosystem, but too much is a major issue. One problem you may be having is the substrate. Pea pebbles from areas like ponds, rivers, and streams are highly effective to keeping a healthy ecosystem. They're fine enough to allow for proper bacterial growth in the substrate but still course enough to allow a safe environment for the inhabitants. The gravel that you seem to use is artificial, polished pea pebbles. Since they're often polished and don't have very many crevices, the good bacteria has a hard time penetrating through the actual rock. Some pea pebbles are also too course, allowing for poop and detritus to get trapped underneath. This makes it hard to vacuum out the detritus. And though detritus is good and is a very important part in a naturalistic style aquarium (especially Walstads), it's not so welcoming in an artificial, sparsely-planted tank. If I were you, I would highly suggest throwing out all the artificial stuff and replacing it with natural decor like rocks, plants, driftwood, leaf litter, etc. But I understand that not all have the money or patience to deal with this, so at the very least I recommend adding more live plants and doing more water changes (either 10% weekly or 25% monthly, unless you decide to make it a Walstad in which you'll only have to do a 10% water change once every 3-6 months). Hopefully this helps you a bit! Good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful day ;)
It has gone down from the size of a small peanut to a half a pea size on one side and the other looks normal again. Unfortunately this is my empty cycled hospital tank, I only have 2 fake decor, all the rest is real plants and rocks and I have some manzanita wood as well in there. Will look into getting a proper hospital tank though, have to find room. Thanks for the reply, I'll update the thread. Off to research possibilities!

Zeemonkey1610

Bump. Any doctors in the house?

Zeemonkey1610

All my videos are too large and pictures don't do it justice. I'm going to go with it's a case of Popeye and treat accordingly

Top Bottom