Switching Water Conditioners

  • Thread starter

JimmyAndrews11

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
10
Points
8
Hello I have a 10 gallon tank with fish in it and right now I’m using aqueon Betta bowl plus but I keep running out of it, I would like to switch to prime but I have no idea how.
 

TucanSam

Valued Member
Messages
234
Reaction score
114
Points
88
Experience
1 year
Shouldn't need to do anything special. Buy some Prime and then when you do your next water changer, just use that instead.
 
  • Thread starter

JimmyAndrews11

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
10
Points
8

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Messages
608
Reaction score
274
Points
73
Experience
Just started
I switched to prime during my cycle process with fish. It is a much better product, and very concentrated. You won’t run out with a 10 gallon tank. 1 cap treats 50 gallons. You can’t go wrong.
 

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Messages
635
Reaction score
237
Points
53
Experience
More than 10 years
Just throw the other one out and use prime instead.
It takes 2 eye dropper drops to treat a gallon of water. It is safe to add more then you need, so if you change half a gallon of water, just add 2 drops.
 
  • Thread starter

JimmyAndrews11

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
10
Points
8
Noroomforshoe said:
Just throw the other one out and use prime instead.
It takes 2 eye dropper drops to treat a gallon of water. It is safe to add more then you need, so if you change half a gallon of water, just add 2 drops.
Okay I will, thanks
 

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
2,180
Points
273
Just a thing.

if you overdose prime, the prime will have no ammonia to bond to if you are dosing for keeping ammonia safe for 48 hrs so it will bond to oxygen.
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,913
Reaction score
7,386
Points
598
Experience
Just started
JimmyAndrews11 said:
Okay I will, thanks
Lol, don't throw it out. For one, they're just water conditioners. Primary purpose is to dechlorinate. It's not like you're trying to change to a better medication or anything, so there is no real advantage in switching immediately to a different product. Secondly, it's wasteful. Just use up what you have, then switch to Prime.
 
  • Thread starter

JimmyAndrews11

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
10
Points
8
scarface said:
Lol, don't throw it out. For one, they're just water conditioners. Primary purpose is to dechlorinate. It's not like you're trying to change to a better medication or anything, so there is no real advantage in switching immediately to a different product. Secondly, it's wasteful. Just use up what you have, then switch to Prime.
Alright
 

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Messages
408
Reaction score
208
Points
53
Also - with a 10-gallon tank.. Get the small bottle of prime that has the built in dropper lid.

that way you don't have to source a plastic syringe and calculate dosage... Just drip 1 or 2 drops into a gallon pitcher and off you go.

Now.... On the "Harmless" *** part... Notice the ***. It's not harmless at *any* possible dosage... It's harmless at dosages you are likely to use.... So if you use 3 or 4 drops instead of 1 - you are fine. If you slosh a bunch in because you can't find the dropper - NOT fine!!! Don't do that - it will cause problems...

Use the dropper.

Follow the directions on the bottle..

All will be fine.
 
  • Thread starter

JimmyAndrews11

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
10
Points
8
Truckjohn said:
Also - with a 10-gallon tank.. Get the small bottle of prime that has the built in dropper lid.

that way you don't have to source a plastic syringe and calculate dosage... Just drip 1 or 2 drops into a gallon pitcher and off you go.

Now.... On the "Harmless" *** part... Notice the ***. It's not harmless at *any* possible dosage... It's harmless at dosages you are likely to use.... So if you use 3 or 4 drops instead of 1 - you are fine. If you slosh a bunch in because you can't find the dropper - NOT fine!!! Don't do that - it will cause problems...

Use the dropper.

Follow the directions on the bottle..

All will be fine.
I know I got the the one with the dropper
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Messages
10,516
Reaction score
9,589
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
FinalFins said:
Just a thing.

if you overdose prime, the prime will have no ammonia to bond to if you are dosing for keeping ammonia safe for 48 hrs so it will bond to oxygen.
Oh my goodness. I have no idea where you come up with some of this stuff. Can you point us to where you read this one? Hopefully we can nip it in the bud before it gets passed around so often folks will start believing it to be true.
 

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
2,180
Points
273

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Messages
10,516
Reaction score
9,589
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for the link. I have read that before and yes it does say it can lower the oxygen level if the oxygen level is already low. It doesn't say it will bond to oxygen if there isn't enough ammonia though.


and now back to the original point of this thread. We can change to a different water conditioner with each water change without causing any kind of problems so you can go ahead and switch to Prime at any time. :)
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom