Switching To New Filter

pale_aquarium

So today after a water change, my filter in my 5 Gallon API Panaview Aquarium stopped working. I have mixed feelings about this: 1) It was the loudest, most annoying filter in the world. I had to put a sponge over the outflow because it was so rough and that seemed to make things worse. 2) Now my Betta has NO filter and the water is very still. I recently ordered a new one from Chewy and it most likely won't be here until next week. How can I switch out the filters without putting my poor fish in complete shock?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Unfortunately I don't know if you can keep the bacteria in the filter media alive for that long, so you'll probably have to put the tank through another cycle. I would just do small daily water changes until the new filter arrives. Is there anyway you could get one sooner from a local source?

bitseriously

Well Known
Couldn't u put the filter media directly in the tank and rig something to move water over or near it? Air stones make an upwelling, water pump, something like that? Maybe not pretty, but u'd get some filtration function, and hopefully retain enought bb to kick start the new filter.
Might be an utter failure, but what do u lose?
Like Fahn said, small wc's would be prudent too, like insurance on my uncertain gamble above.

OP
pale_aquarium

pale_aquarium

Fahn said:
Unfortunately I don't know if you can keep the bacteria in the filter media alive for that long, so you'll probably have to put the tank through another cycle. I would just do small daily water changes until the new filter arrives. Is there anyway you could get one sooner from a local source?
All my LFS filters have AWFUL reviews like being too strong or doing more harm than good. I'm going to do small water changes, hopefully the new one will be here by Monday. This is such an inconvenience

Should I take out the current filter? Or leave it in until the new one arrives even though it doesn't work?

New Threads