Switching to LED, but need some advice...

1. uncclewis

uncclewis Well Known Member Member

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Apparently there's a dimmer knob. Have you fiddled with it?

It seems like it's an "all-in-one" light, so it may not be best suited for plant growth. Have you researched the product as far as PAR and depth for freshwater plants?

4. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

[​IMG][​IMG]I have tried turning it up, but it is all the way up. I am at a loss of what to do... These lights look like they are ideal for reef..

I am trying to replace 8T5 bulbs with this. The whiter one was 160 of the 200 watts of t5 turned on only. I need assistance to try to figure out what to do. Right now my aquarium has 200 Watts of LEDs. Here is a photo (top photo).

5. Grimund

Watts per gallon is obsolete now. It's now going with PAR, Photo Activating Radiation, what the plants use in photosynthesis as far as light. Lights in the 5500-7500 K range are ideal for growing plants, as they contain the best combination of Red and Blue wavelengths.

Each light will produce PAR at different values based on Temperature and Lumen. These values change over distance, or how far down the tank the light goes.

Each plant requires different amounts of light, as your probably aware of. Do you know what amount of light your plants require? Maybe someone or myself can help you find information, or a light better suited

6. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Ah, well my old T5s broke and now I need help lol...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LGCK8QC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of those and one of the other ones right now and my aquarium looks like the photo, it looks ugly, lol. but beyond that not as bright. 220Watts of actual LED power (but they have fans, so I would say probably only 200W of actual LED draw).

I can STILL RETURN it, if within 2 weeks from now if you guys tell me something better, PLEASE!! :)

I do not know the PAR ratings... It needs to go deep, about 24 inches, hence my high wattage.

My primary plants are the following- I know it is a lot, it is a big tank. 75 gallon (thickly planted):

Dwarf Sag, Sagittaria subulata, amazon sword, anabuis (spelling?), water wisteria, java moss, marimo balls, Cryptocoryne undulate, and micro sword. and one I can't identify.

What it looks like right now...

2117.jpg

7. Grimund

Is a 75 a 48" tank?

The one light is most definitely a reef light, and the other is looking like it was designed to be that way too.

8. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

It is about 38 inches, its really 72.8 gallons... I had the 36 light before and it just didn't quite fit and sat a little on top of the glass on each side and that was fine. These sit solely on the glass.

9. Grimund

Dimensions please.

Is there a budget in mind?

10. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

If a light is good for coral, it shouldn't be good for plants and vice Versa. I have tried 2 major brands Current and Finnex. The current (LED +) is not as bright as the Finnex ((Planted+) but does have a lot of bells and whistles (sun, stars,moon ,storms) that I never use. I have been sucking with the Finnex. The cost of T-5 bulbs is getting to equal the cost of anLED for a year.

11. Grimund

38 • ?? • 24 leaves me wonder if two lights might be needed to hit everything. If that's the case, two lights with a lower par might be best as opposed to a single high par.

Your plants aren't too light demanding, which usually means cheaper.

12. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

My tank is 17.8x38x25.

Before they had two quad T-5's (8 total). The used 210 watts according to my wall plugin measurement but were (39Wx8) rated.
    Likewise my current LED is rated as 600 watt but productively use 220 watts. I dont know how they come up with those.

So, what would I need? It is densely planted. It has foreground plants, too

13. Grimund

Depends on your total budget. I'd recommend two lights because of your dimensions. Being able to give light to front and back. I'm a little busy right now, but with a budget, I'm sure I can come up with an option myself that would suit.

Been looking at options for a 65 gallon with similar dimensions.

I'm looking at the Finnex Planted Plus 24/7, it has some cool customizable features and high light at 16" on max. If I remember correctly, they are around 130-150 USD each on Amazon. Beamswork is the cheap option. They have a 36" option in the 6500k range, but there isn't any par data around on them.

14. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

What about a stingray 2 DS? Would one of them be enough? Or you think two of the cheaper ones is better?

Will those compare to my old T5?

15. Grimund

If you link it, I'll see what I can dig up. It's the width of the tank that really hurts. You had two ballasts, so a single bar may not give you the same effect.

Specs on the bulbs and on the ballast (fixture) please and I'll do my best to do a side by side. Just don't expect immediate results, I have to research

16. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K37X7C/ref=twister_B00DQCGL0W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you! :)

17. Grimund

Ah, the Ray 2

18. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Ups! Yeah ray 2! Let me know when you get time, I appreciate it again! It is difficult to figure out. My fish and plants thank you!

[​IMG]

They came out during feeding. :) thats always where they are fed

[​IMG]

19. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

20. Grimund

Honestly, I would recommend the Ray 2 and the Fugeray Planted+ as it does on the amazon page.

The Ray 2 has a very high output, which will be able to penetrate to the bottom of the tank in the front. The Fugeray + will give you lower par, but you hit a good spread of your already tall plants toward the back. Been at work and my day is packed already, sorry, but no numbers yet.

What's the color temp on the t5 bulbs? Did the fixture have reflectors?