Switching to African Cichlids

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by dre205, Mar 23, 2010.

1. d

dre205 New Member Member

hey all,

i have been keeping central and south american cichlids for a while now and they are starting to become boring. most of them get to big for home aquariums and are too agressive. im thinking of switching over to african cichlids. i understand that they need different water chemistry and all and i got all that covered. my tank size is a 55. my ph is going to be around 8.0 to 7.5. let me know if this is a bad idea. ive heard that africans are far more agressive than their american cusins. i just love their coloration and how active they are. its fun to see them biker over food during feeding time. i want to start out with a pair of electric yellow labs ( hopefully i will get a male and female). i have an idea of what to put with them but im not sure so can you guys give me some ideas as in compatible tankmates( perferably other cichlids. thanks for your time. sorry for the grammar, i was kinda in a rush lol

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Basically the only thing that I really would ever put with an african cichlid is more african cichlids. But that's just my opinion I guess.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Not all rift lake cichlids should be overstocked. Just some of them. Rather than buy a pair of Yellow Labs buy either one by itself or buy 4 (1M-3F). Keeping the correct number of each sex is vital with rift lake cichlids. DO NOT keep them in pairs like american cichlids. If kept as a pair the male will chase the female to death in almost every case. Labeotropheus Fuilleborni, Melanochromis Johanni, Pseudotropheus Aurora & Pseudotropheus Socolofi are all species of Mbuna that could work well with Yellow Labs. (not all of them together just two species in the tank) 3-4 Synodontis Multipunctatus catfish would also work well.

PH 7.5-8.0 should be ok so long as the fish are acclimated slowly. If you can have the PH between 8.0 & 8.6 the fish will feel more at home. A KH of at least 6 & a GH of aat least 8 is also good for them.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Best of luck Dre! I hope you can share some photos with us along the way.

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

thanks for the info i will probably start with a ph of around 7.8 and then gradually build up to around 8.5 or so becuase i know some fish stores do not keep their fish in the right water chemistry thanks again all of you!!! i will post some pics wen i can get the tank started.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice