Switching to a larger HOB filter

1. xxbyamomentx Member Member

So I am back, finally cycled, and have proper information...which feels good! :p I made some important changes to how I handle my tank, redesigned everything, and fixed some errors I was making. One in particular was my filter.

I had a filter rated for 2-10 gallon aquariums when I first started trying to keep snails, and I've upgraded to a filter rated for 10-30 gallon aquariums. So I didn't interrupt my cycle I've been running both filters side-by-side for about a week and a half now...but my two apple snails have something to say about the current in the tank! They stay stuck to the opposite wall right now behind a plant where the current is lowest. That can't be fun!

With only one filter running in the tank, the current is much less...so a little bit ago I took the filter bag and sponge out of the small filter and stuck it in with the larger one. I just want to check in on here and make sure that's not hurting anything, even though I can't imagine that it is. The filter itself still seems to have just as much of a flow as when it only had its own cartridge...so can I leave it this way for a few more weeks until the larger filter cartridge is definitely established?

[​IMG]

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

You're fine. I usually cram my filters with media. It makes it handy if something needs to be swapped around in a hurry.

3. xxbyamomentx Member Member

Thanks! It seemed to run okay to me, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't accidentally suffocating beneficial bacteria or risking blowing up a filter by cramming it too full. I took a little of the activated carbon out of each so they'd fit, but left enough that it's still in there. :)

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

As long as it isn't bypassing the media in favor of the overflow channel, you're okay.

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Yup, you should be fine. It will actually work better this way since the BB will spread more quickly between the two. Also as mentioned, unless you are going to be using the old filter on another tank, you can just leave it in there till whenever.

If you don't already have one, I would suggest getting a pre-filter sponge to put over the intake so your little ones don't get sucked in and injured.

6. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I use the water bottle method in my tank with my mysterys. Look into it and maybe try that before you buy anything because it's free lol.

7. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

How do you use a water bottle to keep the snails off the intake on an HOB?

8. xxbyamomentx Member Member

I think Pringle might have the same kind of HOB filter as I do, they're kinda weirdly designed but they seem to work really well. My snails are pretty protected from the intake because of the filter style, but I can't really do the sponge around my filter the way so many people do because it's one like this...
    [​IMG]
    The whole bottom 'grate' pulls water in slowly, to the pump contained in the unit. When I was filter shopping for the first time, I didn't know about the sponge trick on the other style filter at that time and picked this style so they wouldn't get sucked up or hurt. :)

9. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Not sure how big the holes are in that. I'd keep an eye on it, and if needed rubber band one to the front.

10. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I have the water bottle piece over the waterfall part. I have a hob aquaclear 30 and I have panty hose tightly stretched and secured over the intake. I do have a filter like the one in the picture too in my 3 gallon tank and I have panty hose over the whole bottom of that too.

11. xxbyamomentx Member Member

Do you have it kind of like a funnel down into the tank, then? All the way to the water level or does it still hover? Never thought to try something like that, but it sounds like it could really help too.