Switching Substrate

1. Jmccartney

Jmccartney New Member Member

I have a 50 gallon, moderately planted community tank with pool filter sand for substrate that I’m really beginning to regret using. I’d like to switch it out for a darker colored substrate such as Aqua Soil but I’m not sure where to start or how to go about doing this. I have sterbai Cory so I do not want to use gravel. Is anyone willing to give me some tips or walk me through the process?
    Thank you.
    Edited to add: I do have an empty 26 gallon that I could temporarily House everyone in but it would quite cramped. I’m most worried about starting a whole new cycle.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

1. Buy a storage container big enough for your fish and plants.
    2. Move the filter, heater, fish and plants into the tub, along with some dechlorinated water.
    3.Add some substrate (new) for your root feeding plants. (storage container).
    4. Drain the main tank and scoop out the sand.
    5. Add the new substrate and refill with dechlorinated water.
    6. Add everything in the storage container back into the main tank.

Good luck :)

3. OP
    OP
    Jmccartney

Sounds “simple” enough. Sounds like a good weekend project. Thank you :)

4. Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde Valued Member Member

I haven't had to do exactly that yet but I have already recognized that my big plastic tub would be perfect for a temporary tank. Good luck, you got this!

5. OP
    OP
    Jmccartney

Thank you! I have an empty 26 gallon tank that I’ll use when I’m ready to tackle this project. I just switched out my filter from a HOB to a Fluval 406 canister today so I’m done messing with it for the time being. Next project before switching out substrate will be to catch all the platys (4 adults + I have no idea how many fry) and take them to my LFS. I can’t handle their poop anymore!