Question Switching stands and getting some freebies I'm not sure about.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a quick one. By chance a friend is giving me a nice new stand for my 80l for free and that means I'll have to switch the stands on sunday.

There is a board right under the tank I can lift it with, I also have a table I can put it on for the time being while switching the stands. Do you think it will work out draining the tank as far as possible and lift it on said board, put it aside, switch stands and put it on the new stand or do you think I should empty it completely?
It's basically impossible catching out my Cories without removing everything besides the substrate.

As a bonus I'll also get three black nerite snails and if I want some plants. I don't know whether nerites can even live in blackwater. Risk it or not?
Thing with the plants is, the tank had blue algae and I don't want introduce these in here. What do you think? Should I take the plants or not, because otherwise they would be thrown away.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
80L is about 20 gallons? I think FinalFins is doing the similar thing drain it down set up your new stand put tank on new stand refill

OP
MacZ

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
80L is about 20 gallons? I think FinalFins is doing the similar thing drain it down set up your new stand put tank on new stand refill
Yeah, about 20 gallons.
Exactly, I commented on that in his thread. Only difference: He's moving tank and stand, I'm just switching the stands, so the tank will have to rest a moment while switching. But excellent, you're confirming my plan. :)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MacZ said:
Yeah, about 20 gallons.
Exactly, I commented on that in his thread. Only difference: He's moving tank and stand, I'm just switching the stands, so the tank will have to rest a moment while switching. But excellent, you're confirming my plan. :)
You could always have the new stand next to the old stand n just switch it that way and move the tank n stand as one as well. With it 90% drained even with substrate it’s shouldn’t weigh much more than say 30-50 pounds max! So two people should be able to move it ... also it would b easier to move tank and stand that way the stand will most likely have better gripping spots than the corners of a tank.

OP
MacZ

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The thing is I don't have the room in my room. I was also thinking I could put it on the new stand and move them together, but I have no spot to put the new one where it's not in the way for removing the old one.

This is the old stand. Note the board the tank is standing on. Hight of the stand, ca. 50cm, length 4 feet.

20200513_123056b.jpg

And this is the new one. Hight about 79cm, but smaller footprint.

photo_2020-05-21_13-31-55.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ahhh ok I got ya. Even if u had it in a different room and swapped them out that way? Just trying to give ideas... but like I said with 90% of it drained it will b light enough to even leave it on the board on your bed without an issue as long as it doesn’t lean too much.

OP
MacZ

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Ahhh ok I got ya. Even if u had it in a different room and swapped them out that way? Just trying to give ideas... but like I said with 90% of it drained it will b light enough to even leave it on the board on your bed without an issue as long as it doesn’t lean too much.
Other room isn't possible. I got a one-room-appartment with a mini-kitchen and a bathroom.
I'll drain 90-95% and switch it out via my desk. :) Thanks!

Other question: What about the snails? My water is quite soft and the pH is almost at 6. Think those will work?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MacZ said:
Other room isn't possible. I got a one-room-appartment with a mini-kitchen and a bathroom.
I'll drain 90-95% and switch it out via my desk. :) Thanks!

Other question: What about the snails? My water is quite soft and the pH is almost at 6. Think those will work?
That I’m honestly not sure about. What type of snails? I have ramshorn MTS and a couple nerites but my water is a bit more neutral in the 7.2-75 area...

OP
MacZ

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are Neritina pulligera. I find conflicting info on these.

OP
MacZ

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok people, wish me luck, the operation is about to commence within the hour. I'll post an update tonight in my thread.

OP
MacZ

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks! My friend just wrote he is about to start the drive in my direction, so he should be here in about 20min.

New Threads