Switching from untreated well water to treated city water

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Aquaphobia, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I'm moving again and weirdly, though I'm moving even farther from the city, I'll be back on city water! My tanks have been on well water for months, how drastic will such a change be for them and should I take some carboys of well water along with me to make the transition slower? Or can I just add Prime and add it?

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I'd get a sample of the new water and test for everything including PH, GH and KH which can vary drastically sometimes between water types and to find out what your buffer looks like in the new water system. PH and temperature (and of course the toxins like ammonia and nitrites) are the most important thing to match when you change water systems.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to mix their water in a water change the week before the move with 50% of the new water.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You can get all the information about the municipal water from the water company. If they have a web page it is usually on it. If not you can call and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice