Switching from HOB to Sponge - Tank cycled poorly.

DrogJustDrog
I have chronic migraines and a sleeping disorder. The current filter I have is a Tetra whisper 5-10 gallon filter and I already have a noise cancelling machine. My aquarium is in my room and I don't really have any other place to put it. I can switch to a sponge filter but my cycle already took me so long to do.
I do have several plants in there, so that'll hopefully take care of some things. I'll need some insight about this.

CrackerboxPalace
Problem with a sponge filter is the air pump can be pretty noisy. In my experience the quietest filters are internal ones. Maybe check out the Eheim Pickup 45, I have a larger version of this filter that's run quietly without issues for over 2 years. They're not the cheapest filters but they work like a charm. If you can't find this filter or don't want it just search for internal filters online or at your LFS.

To save your cycle you can just take whatever media is in your HOB and put it in the new filter and you'll be good. Hope you can fix up this issue :)

Flyfisha
The second problem with sponge filters that are driven by an air pump is the continuous bubbles bubbles bubbles.
To avoid this you can use a power head ( water pump) on top of the sponge. As the power head is plugged into a power point/ wall socket/ power outlet you might as well run an internal power filter like a Fluval U2 or similar. That would be quiet.

A link to an Australian site ( sorry) states the U2 is suitable for 11 gallons plus.

Betta'sAnonymous
Using an airstone in a sponge filter can also quiet the bubbles by a significant margin. These are 2 of the quieter air pumps i have used:

Screenshot_20210716-071354_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20210716-071423_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Flyfisha
A sponge filter is not the answer to this problem.

“I have chronic migraines and a sleeping disorder.”

As much as I love sponge filters and am in fact setting up 4 second hand sponge filters today do not waste your money DrogJustDrog

FishDin
I like the internal filter solution that crackerboxpalace suggested, tho I don't know what's available for a small tank. Very quiet.

Confused by your tank info. You started the tank on the 10th , but were testing on the 5th?? What were you testing if you hadn't started the tank yet? The test results you list show an uncycled tank. Do you have more recent tests?

DrogJustDrog
Thanks guys for all the info. Yeah I haven't updated the tests, I do have much more recent tests of much lower ammonia and varying nitrate levels. I actually test the water pretty frequently now. I'll look into all the filters suggested.

mattgirl
Maybe I have just been lucky but the only way I know my HOB filters are running is if I look to see if water is running through them. They are silent. I keep the water filled up high enough to prevent the waterfall sound. That sound would get on my very last nerve. Are you hearing the filter or are you hearing the waterfall?

The main problem with switching to a sponge filter is deadening the sound of the air pump. I set my air pumps on a piece of foam and make sure nothing is touching them but you may still hear a hum.

Top Bottom