Switching from HOB to sponge filters

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 5 gallon shrimp tank and a 10 gallon with a betta and some pygmy cories. They both have HOB filters and I'm considering switching to sponge. The flow is a bit much for my betta, even though there's lots of places for him to go out of the flow, I don't love that there's a part of the tank that he doesn't like. My shrimp tank filter works well but rattles and bugs me (i have a sponge over the intake). So for switching, is my best bet to set up the new filter and run both for a while? How long should I leave both in for? Any other words of wisdom?

RDcompton03

Reaction score
If you've already decided to make the switch than my comment wont matter but one of the lesser discussed benefits of a HOB over a sponge filter is that with a sponge you really have no way of determining how much water is passing through the sponge. With a HOB you can see how much water is passing though it and when it needs cleaning. With a sponge its a guess. Oh and by the way if you have a sponge on the intake you get the benefit of having both a sponge filter and a HOB.

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RDcompton03 said:
If you've already decided to make the switch than my comment wont matter but one of the lesser discussed benefits of a HOB over a sponge filter is that with a sponge you really have no way of determining how much water is passing through the sponge. With a HOB you can see how much water is passing though it and when it needs cleaning. With a sponge its a guess. Oh and by the way if you have a sponge on the intake you get the benefit of having both a sponge filter and a HOB.
I do have a sponge on the intake! It helps. I'm not set on changing, if there's a way to reduce flow (I've tried sponges on the output, not very helpful) then I'm happy to stay with hob.

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a sponge filter in and running. I have a bunch of loose pieces of filter floss in the cartridge of my hob, could I hide it around the tank or tie it to the sponge filter to get the hob out quicker?

New Threads