55 Gallon Tank Switching from HOB to canister

acerrato

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI everyone! I’d like to slowly overhaul my tank. I currently am running a Tidal 55 on my 55 gallon tank. I’d like to switch to a canister. I’d run both simultaneously for a month so that when I removed the HOB, the canister could handle the load on its own. I’m eventually going to upgrade the tank from a 55 gallon to a 125g so I want to make sure I purchase a canister that can handle a 125g tank. I know nothing about canisters- what can you recommend?

Also, I’d like to use sand substrate in the new tank and run it with the canister. Have you found that sand substrate affects the efficiency of your canister? (Sand getting stuck/ruining the impeller)...

Thank you!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Currently I run a Fluval 406 and an Aquaclear70 along with 2 sponge filters on my 55. I have PFS and its not affected by the canister or HOB. I would also like to upgrade to a 125 eventually as well and I think my personal choice but haven't tried yet would either be an FX4 or FX6 along with either my 406 or another AC probably 110. If that's any help.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Properly rinsed sand doesn't really get stirred up much. The key is to rinse it, and then rinse it more before putting it in the tank.

I use a sponge prefilter on the intakes of my filters. The ATI Filter Max III is what I use on 2 if my canisters and 2 if my larger Aquaclears. Other options are available, such as slip in style sold by Aquarium Co-Op. They can help catch sand before it gets sucked in.

For 1 canister to properly filter a 125g would require a very large unit. More than likely something appropriate for a 125g would over power a 55g.

It may be more helpful though to tell us how the 55 gallon and 125g will be stocked.

Also, you can easily place all the media in your Tidal HOB into a basket of your new canister.

OP
acerrato

acerrato

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Islandvic said:
Properly rinsed sand doesn't really get stirred up much. The key is to rinse it, and then rinse it more before putting it in the tank.

I use a sponge prefilter on the intakes of my filters. The ATI Filter Max III is what I use on 2 if my canisters and 2 if my larger Aquaclears. Other options are available, such as slip in style sold by Aquarium Co-Op. They can help catch sand before it gets sucked in.

For 1 canister to properly filter a 125g would require a very large unit. More than likely something appropriate for a 125g would over power a 55 gallon.

It may be more helpful though to tell us how the 55 gallon and 125g will be stocked.

Also, you can easily place all the media in your Tidal HOB into a basket of your new canister.
Thank you!

Black Thumb

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
acerrato said:
HI everyone! I’d like to slowly overhaul my tank. I currently am running a Tidal 55 on my 55 gallon tank. I’d like to switch to a canister. I’d run both simultaneously for a month so that when I removed the HOB, the canister could handle the load on its own. I’m eventually going to upgrade the tank from a 55 gallon to a 125g so I want to make sure I purchase a canister that can handle a 125g tank. I know nothing about canisters- what can you recommend?

Also, I’d like to use sand substrate in the new tank and run it with the canister. Have you found that sand substrate affects the efficiency of your canister? (Sand getting stuck/ruining the impeller)...

Thank you!
Neither the Fluval or EheI'm canisters are set up in a way that sand could ever make it to the impeller. The sand would have to travel through all of the filter media to do that, which is pretty much impossible.

If I had a 55 gallon and was planning to upgrade to 125, I'd probably be looking at a Fluval 407 or FX series filter. Of course, I'm an EheI'm classic fan, but though I think two 2215 filters would work on a 55, I don't think two 2217s would be ideal for 125, and I can't imagine running three filters on one, hence my thought on Fluval. If you went Eheim, you'd have to go to the 2262 with the bigger tank, and I think that will be more mix and match. Fluval really do make solid, stable filters. I have a 305, and if I ever get the 75 gallon tank to replace my 29, I'll be putting it back in service.

YMMV, but both companies make solid equipment.

New Threads