Switching From Hang On Back To Canister Filter Must Keep Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Btull3911, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Btull3911

Btull3911Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    I️ am changing from a hang on back filter to a canister. Besides putting my existing filter media into the canister, any other suggestions for me to ensure my cycle

2. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You might continue running your HOB for a month or so in conjunction with your filter. That would insure your cycle. Then, you can transfer your old media into your canister if you want and just continue with the canister.

3. OP
    OP
    Btull3911

Ratings:
    +20
    I’m moving the aquarium to a new position. The 5 inches the HOB takes is critical so I would like to detach the HOB as soon as possible. If I put the media filter and the sponge in my Canister, could I️ eliminate the need to run both filters simultaneously

4. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well, you didn't SAY that! ;) I would move all media to the new canister. I would probably buy some TSS+ or Stability, though. When I started up my canister on my new aquarium, I had seeded a couple of bags of media in one of my tanks for probably 2 months. I still didn't have a cycle on my tank and ended up using TSS+ to help obtain a cycle on my aquarium. Hopefully, since you're just changing the filter (mine was a brand new tank and canister), you won't have as much of an issue.

5. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,263
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I believe it will and have just done it. As said the best way is too leave the hob and canister running together for a month or so. Can you but the hob on the side of the tank. Like I said I just did this. But I took about two weeks to move all my fish. I moved a few at a time to give the bb time to grow.

6. Jayd976

Jayd976Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +578
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can move all the media into canister or with your space issue install the HOB on the front side of the tank temporarily if you are that worried about something happening to the cycle.

7. Sakana魚

Sakana魚Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    1 year
    It would e ugly as sin but u could put the filter on the front of the tank for a month

8. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    Just move the biomedia from the HOB to the canister. It's what I did and I never had a recycle or ammonia spike. If you think about it its just like taking the biomedia out and then putting it back in the HOb again, except your putting it in the canister. I love my canister so much. Never going back to HOB's.

9. OP
    OP
    Btull3911

Ratings:
    +20
    Thank you everyone. I can leave the hob on for a week. Then I️ am going to transfer it all to the canister.