Switching from gravel decor tank to planted aquascape

bored411

So, I've got a 10-gallon tank (pictured below) and a 5-gallon betta tank. I love the look of my planted betta tank (also pictured below) and wanted to do something similar with the 10-gallon without killing all my fish.

I've got extra Fluval stratum I want to switch the gravel out with (which I will be very careful doing given its tendency to alter the parameters). Then I was thinking of replacing the fish decor in the tank with dragon stone and going from there. I've got Monte Carlo and Dwarf Sag. in my smaller tank I figured I could use extra of to start a planted carpet in the big one. Then, I've already got a java fern, a small manzanita tree (with subwassertang that I need to get rid of), a leftover dwarf sag from my 5 gallon that I just shoved in there, and anubis in my big tank I could move around before looking at other plants to add to it.

I'm just concerned about how I can do this without harming the fish in the tank. I've got a swordtail, a nerite snail, 2 fancy guppy, a lyretail guppy, 2 oto, an albino cory, peppered cory, and a guppy-sized swordtail mickey mouse platy cross (I know it's overstocked but I keep it very clean and haven't had issues). I'm assuming a slow switching of the gravel 1/3 a time, then removal of the decor and placement of rocks would be okay without causing too much trouble? Any tips?

IMG_1060.JPG
Sorry about the algae and scattered subwassertang!

Attachments

• IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 24

Tigerburp

So, I've got a 10-gallon tank (pictured below) and a 5-gallon betta tank. I love the look of my planted betta tank (also pictured below) and wanted to do something similar with the 10-gallon without killing all my fish.

I've got extra Fluval stratum I want to switch the gravel out with (which I will be very careful doing given its tendency to alter the parameters). Then I was thinking of replacing the fish decor in the tank with dragon stone and going from there. I've got Monte Carlo and Dwarf Sag. in my smaller tank I figured I could use extra of to start a planted carpet in the big one. Then, I've already got a java fern, a small manzanita tree (with subwassertang that I need to get rid of), a leftover dwarf sag from my 5 gallon that I just shoved in there, and anubis in my big tank I could move around before looking at other plants to add to it.

I'm just concerned about how I can do this without harming the fish in the tank. I've got a swordtail, a nerite snail, 2 fancy guppy, a lyretail guppy, 2 oto, an albino cory, peppered cory, and a guppy-sized swordtail mickey mouse platy cross (I know it's overstocked but I keep it very clean and haven't had issues). I'm assuming a slow switching of the gravel 1/3 a time, then removal of the decor and placement of rocks would be okay without causing too much trouble? Any tips?

IMG_1060.JPG
Sorry about the algae and scattered subwassertang!
I would do everything at once, and soaking the fluval stratum helps solve the perimeter issue

bored411

I would do everything at once, and soaking the fluval stratum helps solve the perimeter issue
So, when you say do everything at once, you mean remove all decor and all gravel and replace with stratum and rocks? All this with the fish still in the tank and this won't alter parameters?

And how long do you recommend soaking? When I did the smaller tank, I had smaller amounts of stratum in a strainer and rinsed it a few times. Do you mean toss it in a bucket, add water, and let it sit for a day or two?

Tigerburp

So, when you say do everything at once, you mean remove all decor and all gravel and replace with stratum and rocks? All this with the fish still in the tank and this won't alter parameters?

And how long do you recommend soaking? When I did the smaller tank, I had smaller amounts of stratum in a strainer and rinsed it a few times. Do you mean toss it in a bucket, add water, and let it sit for a day or two?
Yes remove everything at once, and I usually soak for 3 days but if you are in a rush a day would do

bored411

Yes remove everything at once, and I usually soak for 3 days but if you are in a rush a day would do
Okay, cool! That will make things much easier. I was concerned since I already have fish in there and didn't want the sudden change to kill any of them or alter my parameters. I'll get the stone tomorrow then and start soaking the stratum too. I'm sure the fish will appreciate a planted tank over their few decorations. :)

Tigerburp

Okay, cool! That will make things much easier. I was concerned since I already have fish in there and didn't want the sudden change to kill any of them or alter my parameters. I'll get the stone tomorrow then and start soaking the stratum too. I'm sure the fish will appreciate a planted tank over their few decorations. :)
No doubt, oh and once done soaking replace the water and test it to see if the stratum would alter the parameters

bored411

No doubt, oh and once done soaking replace the water and test it to see if the stratum would alter the parameters
For sure! You wouldn't happen to know if my cory would uproot monte carlo if I tried to carpet it, would you?

Tigerburp

For sure! You wouldn't happen to know if my cory would uproot monte carlo if I tried to carpet it, would you?
They definitely would, corys are like reverse gardeners

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
otterblue
Replies
Views
EMcT1985
Replies