Switching From Fish Food To Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride?

Krn

Reaction score
I'm 3 weeks into my first fishless cycle using fish food and frozen shrimp (can't get ammonia in Australia). It seems to be going well so far but it feels like a bit of a guessing game.
I just found Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride for sale in Aus, should I start using that instead of fish food as an ammonia source?

I realise at some point I will want to see the ammonia turn to nitrate in 12 hours and using fish food will make this a bit difficult, but I don't want to assume this ammonium chloride will help with this or even work the same way as plain ammonia.

Any advice is appreciated!

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's the downside to using fish food as an ammonia source... you are just guessing at how much to put in, you have to wait for it to break down, and it makes the tank messy. I used Dr. Tims for a fishless cycle, and highly recommend it if you can get it. It's easy to dose, and you can bring your ammonia level to the desired number pretty easily. No guessing, no mess. And you know its' completely safe - not all kinds of 'generic' ammonia you get at the store are safe.

Reactions: Krn

Krn

Reaction score
Awesome! I wasn't 100% sure, thanks for clarifying!
Just ordered some, feeling silly that I hadn't found it earlier lol.
Glad to know I'm on the right track now at least.

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's the downside to using fish food as an ammonia source... you are just guessing at how much to put in, you have to wait for it to break down, and it makes the tank messy. I used Dr. Tims for a fishless cycle, and highly recommend it if you can get it. It's easy to dose, and you can bring your ammonia level to the desired number pretty easily. No guessing, no mess. And you know its' completely safe - not all kinds of 'generic' ammonia you get at the store are safe.
Can you use this for a planted tank?? I’m having trouble adding enough to get to 4ppm. I’m just blinding chucking in pinches of food.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 35.7%

Top Bottom