Switching from AquaSafe to Prime

1. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Thought i should finally do it!...

After much research and deliberation, i have decided to change my conditioner to prime.

It is ridiculously cheap now that a factory has been established somewhere in Johannesburg!...

It will cost me 1/4 of the price to dose with prime, and it will last me twice as long.

I intend to dose only water going in, at half dosage (very little chlorine, and nothing else) and full dose on QT and fry tanks. I am actually surprised at how little prime treats so much water, so i guess im gonna have to be working with syringes ;D...

Does anybody have prices of prime where they are from? It cost me R200 for 500ml of prime here, which is equivalent to about $30

2. m

matt6765 Well Known Member Member

I got my 500 mL bottle for $12. I too have to work with a syringe:).

3. OP
    OP
    i

Wow thats really cheap there!... Well prime still worked out cheaper to me, so i mean its still worth it :):)

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I pay $4-6 for a bottle. I can't tell you how big it is, though since I'm not at home, and for some reason, its not on PetSmart.com or Petsupermarket.com, where I buy it at (in store).... Its not a big bottle though. Its little. Like, the smallest you can buy lol

5. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I paid 6$ for 100 mL, Which is probably what Akari_32 has too, as it is the smallest offered bottle. I don't use it on a normal basis, just in fry and QT tanks, and when cycling since my water doesn't have chlorine or any additives at all really... I just like having a bottle around just in case...

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think the normal full price is like $20-22 for the 500 ml. I get it for $11-13 online.

7. s

stashattack Member Member

I just switched over to using prime too, and I cannot believe how much less you use for the same amount of water. So much cheaper to than aquasafe :D

8. OP
    OP
    i

3 sources of water, only one has chlorine and the other has traces of copper. Neither would be enough to long term harm fish. Theoretically i dont need to use it but i do. Its a fall-back, a safety net and also i still believe it ups the water quality even if it already is great (which i do know mine is)

That is the reason for half dosing both aquasafe and now prime too :)

Lucky lucky... I only have one option and thats the LFS :) No online ordering for me (dont get me wrong, it exists and most are just amazon based, but the prices are marked up about 2.5 to 3 times amazon's list price. An API test kit online here will cost me $95, and they still charge to deliver)

Kinda makes me sad that these places actually do sell things successfully to people.

It really did surprise me too. I never really looked into it properly, price and everything because i assumed because it does all those things, and is manufactured elsewhere, then it WILL be expensive... Im glad i was pleasantly surprised :)

9. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I use safe, the powdered form of prime. $8 treats 50,000 gallons.

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, the powder is even more concentrated.

11. C

Indeed! 1/8th teaspoon treats 25 gallons.

12. Akari_32

Wow, I might need that!!

13. C

It's a little easier to over dose but the stuff lasts forever! I've had my bottle of safe for about 6 months and it's not even half gone.

14. OP
    OP
    i

Wow!!! What is it called?

That is amazing

15. C

16. OP
    OP
    i

Wow when is a 4 kilogram package gonna be needed???!?!?!

Thats ridiculous and something i might try find!

Thank you cichlidnut :)

17. C

I've got the smallest one you can get, with my 6 tanks I haven't quite used half of it.

18. Akari_32

Hm.... I like the looks of this stuff.... >=3

19. OP
    OP
    i

I agree... Down with Prime... Go Safe!...

20. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Opened per OP request.

Ken