Switching from AquaSafe to Prime

1. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Thought i should finally do it!...

After much research and deliberation, i have decided to change my conditioner to prime.

It is ridiculously cheap now that a factory has been established somewhere in Johannesburg!...

It will cost me 1/4 of the price to dose with prime, and it will last me twice as long.

I intend to dose only water going in, at half dosage (very little chlorine, and nothing else) and full dose on QT and fry tanks. I am actually surprised at how little prime treats so much water, so i guess im gonna have to be working with syringes ;D...

Does anybody have prices of prime where they are from? It cost me R200 for 500ml of prime here, which is equivalent to about $30

2. matt6765 Well Known Member Member

I got my 500 mL bottle for $12. I too have to work with a syringe:).

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Wow thats really cheap there!... Well prime still worked out cheaper to me, so i mean its still worth it :):)

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I pay $4-6 for a bottle. I can't tell you how big it is, though since I'm not at home, and for some reason, its not on PetSmart.com or Petsupermarket.com, where I buy it at (in store).... Its not a big bottle though. Its little. Like, the smallest you can buy lol

5. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I paid 6$ for 100 mL, Which is probably what Akari_32 has too, as it is the smallest offered bottle. I don't use it on a normal basis, just in fry and QT tanks, and when cycling since my water doesn't have chlorine or any additives at all really... I just like having a bottle around just in case...

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think the normal full price is like $20-22 for the 500 ml. I get it for $11-13 online.

7. stashattack Member Member

I just switched over to using prime too, and I cannot believe how much less you use for the same amount of water. So much cheaper to than aquasafe :D

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

3 sources of water, only one has chlorine and the other has traces of copper. Neither would be enough to long term harm fish. Theoretically i dont need to use it but i do. Its a fall-back, a safety net and also i still believe it ups the water quality even if it already is great (which i do know mine is)

That is the reason for half dosing both aquasafe and now prime too :)

Lucky lucky... I only have one option and thats the LFS :) No online ordering for me (dont get me wrong, it exists and most are just amazon based, but the prices are marked up about 2.5 to 3 times amazon's list price. An API test kit online here will cost me $95, and they still charge to deliver)

Kinda makes me sad that these places actually do sell things successfully to people.

It really did surprise me too. I never really looked into it properly, price and everything because i assumed because it does all those things, and is manufactured elsewhere, then it WILL be expensive... Im glad i was pleasantly surprised :)

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I use safe, the powdered form of prime. $8 treats 50,000 gallons.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, the powder is even more concentrated.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Indeed! 1/8th teaspoon treats 25 gallons.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, I might need that!!

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It's a little easier to over dose but the stuff lasts forever! I've had my bottle of safe for about 6 months and it's not even half gone.

14. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Wow!!! What is it called?

That is amazing

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

16. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Wow when is a 4 kilogram package gonna be needed???!?!?!

Thats ridiculous and something i might try find!

Thank you cichlidnut :)

17. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I've got the smallest one you can get, with my 6 tanks I haven't quite used half of it.

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Hm.... I like the looks of this stuff.... >=3

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I agree... Down with Prime... Go Safe!...

20. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Opened per OP request.

Ken