Switching Filters

jfs4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to switch ona filter that will be easier to change while maintaining my cycle. Thoughts on types and how to switch? Right now I have a top fin filter cartridge with carbon and know that the cartridge will give out. I don't want to recycle a tank.

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was told to keep both filters running together for a while, hopefully by the time the other one gives up, the new one has caught up to not have you start another cycle

Dakotablue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The cartridge makes it tough to move the old media to a new filter, otherwise I would recommend taking out the media and swapping.

Is the topfin filter pretty gunky all around? You could wipe the extra gunk off with media from the new filter to help seed it, and run them concurrently for a while like Esli mentioned.

jfs4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I can fit a new cartridge in while it runs next to the old one? It seems pretty small. My filter is fine at the moment. I'm thinking for the future.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you doing a lateral switch? Meaning just upgrading a filter for the current tank or a upgrade of the tank which requires a new filter due to size?

If doing just a lateral change just upgrading the filter to something bigger you could run both filters side by side for a few months.

If your upgrading a tank with a new filter you will need to supplement the new tank and filter with bacteria in a bottle, like tss or Dr Tim’s bacteria in a bottle.

jfs4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry I have not responded. I keep pondering what to do with my top fin 10 filter. I think the machine aspect and function is fine. I dont like the cartridges. I haven't changed it for two months and I know eventually it will fall apart. the filter is small in size. I was thinking about trying to modify the filter so it uses sponges and then put a filter sponge on the intake valve. I think that will help me with switching media in the future when the time comes. Thoughts?

Dakotablue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's doable. Just take slow steps and don't change too much of the current filter at once. You don't want to crash your cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom