Switching Filters?

1. RAWRitsEDWIN Initiate Member

Safe to Switch Filters?

Hi guys. I have recently bought a 10 gallon aquarium starter kit, and it came with a filter. This filter was the Tetra Whisper In-Tank Power Aquarium Filter. I have already set up my tank since Friday and was wondering if I could switch the filters. I want to switch to the Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 Aquarium Power Filter. Could I do this? Would this be a problem? If I can do this, how would I change the filters?

2. RAWRitsEDWIN Initiate Member

Hi guys. I have recently bought a 10 gallon aquarium starter kit, and it came with a filter. This filter was the Tetra Whisper In-Tank Power Aquarium Filter. I have already set up my tank since Friday and was wondering if I could switch the filters. I want to switch to the Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 Aquarium Power Filter. Could I do this? Would this be a problem? If I can do this, how would I change the filters?

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

You haven't made any real progress in the cycle yet so if you want to switch it out, now would be the time.

4. RAWRitsEDWIN Initiate Member

Good. So how would I do this? Just unplug my current filter, take out that filter , and then just switch to the new filter?

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

What is the reason you want to switch?

And if you understand the cycle of aquariums, you will understand that you rinse the filter in the water that comes out of the aquarium when you do a water change. Changing the filter will stall the cycle in the aquarium and possibly kill all the fish.

6. Lupinus Member Member

Yeah pretty much.

At this point you've not made much progress in cycling the tank so really nothing to loose by switching out the filter.

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You could switch filters, but I personally would recommend an AquaClear filter instead of the Aqueon. I don't know how versed you are on the nitrogen cycle, but hopefully you realize that the vast majority of the bacteria that keeps your tank cycled lives in the filter media.

Most HOB (Hang On Back) filters have a cartridge that consist of a frame of some sort that is covered in filter floss, with carbon encapsulated inside the floss.

The problem is that the carbon is only good for about 4 weeks and then gets saturated with impurities and stops working. But if you replace the cartridge you are in effect throwing away all the bacteria that lives in the floss that keeps your tank cycled.

So you have two choices. You can either cut the cartridge open and dump out the carbon, since it isn't 100% necessary. But if you want to use carbon you need to add loose carbon back into the filter.

With the AquaClear filters you have a sponge that traps the large particles, a bag of carbon that can easily be replaced and a bag of ceramic bio media where the vast majority of your bacteria lives. So changing out the carbon every 4 weeks is very easy and you don't lose any bacteria because you keep the bio media and sponge.

8. ploopy Member Member

I would also recomend an aqua clear.Alot more room to put bio media in.

9. RAWRitsEDWIN Initiate Member

I have a fish in my tank already. So I can just unplug my current filter, take it out, and put in my new one without any problems?

10. RAWRitsEDWIN Initiate Member

Even if I have fish in my tank already?

11. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Is the tank cycled? If so, than removing the old filter and putting a new one in would leave you uncycled once again.

Are you sure you understand the nitrogen cycle? If not I highly recommend you read up on it since it is probably the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

12. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

If you just switch filters and the tank is already cycled, you are likely to kill fish. I suggest you read up on aquarium cycling. The messages above are all very accurate and what they are trying to tell you is to slow down. We do not have enough information to give you a concrete answer. What we really need to know is if your tank is cycled or not?

13. RAWRitsEDWIN Initiate Member

I don't think that it is cycled already because I just installed everything on Saturday. I know it takes a good amount of time for the tank to be cycled.

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, you can upgrade to a new filter. Just transfer the filter media you are currently using into the new filter.

As you are cycling with fish, I also recommend daily water changes until cycled. What water conditioner are you using? Seachem Prime or Kordon AmQuel+ with NovAqua+ are not only water conditioners, but they also help to detox waste for 24 hours and support a healthy slime coat on the fish.

:;fIf you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

15. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Here Here. Why don't you just run both filters?

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes. The tank has not developed any bacteria since saturday, so you are really only setting yourself back a few days which is inconsequential in the big picture.

17. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:animal0068:
    Duplicate threads have been merged.