Switching Filter Questions

James1978

HI all...

I had two Penguin 350 filters on my tank and bought an EheI'm Cannister filter. I took one of the penguin's out and installed the EheI'm yesterday. Two questions:

1. Do I have to be concerned with anything regarding the new filter? It has all new media, etc. and there is still one established filter, but is it possible this could mess up the chemistry of my tank? Should I be checking every day again? I typically check once per week.

2. I have an extra filter - I hope to eventually buy a small tank and use it for breeding or something along those lines (at least that's what I'll tell my wife ... I did not wash out the removed filter - it's sitting in a bucket in my hot garage. How long will the beneficial bacteria last with it sitting out there?I wasn't going to get another tank for a few weeks - will it be okay sitting in the garage until then? Is there something I could/should do so I don't have to go through a huge cycle in my next tank?

Thanks,

James

appcontrol

Well Known
It could you removed half of filter media removing that filter.
I don't know what media you have but I would add all that old media in new filter and that's it and keep it like that for at least month. After that you can slowly change old for new one if you want

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Removing the other filter could cause a small minI cycle, just keep an eye on parameters.
Next time, or if your media from the penguin is still wet, you can place the contents directly into the eheim.

A minI cycle is similar to a regular cycle... bacteria just needs time to regrow. Happily since it is already present in large numbers, it doesn’t take as long to multiply like in a regular cycle (hence mini)

OP
James1978

James1978

The media was the cartridge and biowheels, which arent' compatible with the new cartridge filter. Would dropping the gooky biowheels from the extra Penguin filter into my tank help? I can certainly do that. How long does the bacteria live outside of the water since I took it out last night?

James

appcontrol

Well Known
James1978 said:
The media was the cartridge and biowheels, which arent' compatible with the new cartridge filter. Would dropping the gooky biowheels from the extra Penguin filter into my tank help? I can certainly do that. How long does the bacteria live outside of the water since I took it out last night?

James
Those bacteria are dead. But in future or leave for month old filters and add new. Or open/break cartridge add it to mesh bag or women nailon socks tie it and add in new filter or put it next to intake if it can't get in.

RSababady

Well Known
This is what I would do:
  1. Main tank: Open the canister filter and stick part of the biomedia from the Penguin filters in the area you have your new biomedia - this will seed the new filter and allow the bacteria to colonize their new habitat quickly.
  2. New tank: Two weeks before you set the new tank up, put the second Penguin back into the main tank so that it cycles. When the new tank arrives, fill it up with tank water from the existing tank (equivalent of a water change for the existing tank) and move the cycled Penguin to the new tank. You should be cycled within a few days without extra effort.
Good luck and have FUN!

New Threads