Switched to well water need some advice

1. patrickdives89 Initiate Member

Hi, when I did my 1/3 water change/vac. today (10:00 A.M.), in my 55 gallon cycled tank, I refilled with my home's water which is fed from our 650' deep well. When I checked the tank's parameters, I noticed the PH was 7.6 instead of 7.4 and the Nitrate level was 10 instead of 0 as it has been from city water I've been hauling over from my parents' house. From what I've read these levels sound OK but I wanted some advice from more experienced folks. It will be a lot easier to fill from home instead of hauling water over every week. I just want to make sure everything sounds alright.

Thanks,
    Patrick

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

do you have live plants? if not, your nitrates shouldnt be 0 ...you should have some reading for nitrates in a cycled tank....maybe the tank wasnt cycled? which could explain your ph changes also...do a quick ph test of your tap water....although thats not a huge change to worry about

all my tanks have well water in them..its actually better in some cases than city water as it doesnt have chlorine and chlorimines in it..although i dont have to, i still use prime water conditioner for my own sake ;D

3. patrickdives89 Initiate Member

Yes, it does have live plants. It's pretty well planted actually. The Nitrate level rose during the cycling process after the Nitrite spike but dropped after plants were added. The tank's been set up since Oct with good results. The ph for the well water from the tap is 7.6 too (city water was 7.4 when it was in the tank) and, just for the heck of it, I tested the Nitrate level at the tap and it reads between 6 and 10. I did add Prime to the water when doing the water change.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you will be fine with just your prime and tap water :) again the ph isnt enough to cause an issue unless you do huge water changes....1/3 is great though :)

5. patrickdives89 Initiate Member

I guess I was being a little overly paranoid about the parameters. Thanks so much for your help. It's nice hearing from someone who's been using well water. I'll keep an eye on the levels to see what happens.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Your welcome...and I hear ya on being paranoid..we all have been there and still are some days :)