Swimming WAY too close to the top and a bit lethargic too

Gina423

Reaction score
After cycling my tank completely, I bought four zebra danios. My tank went througha minI cycle and I lost one. AFter many partial water changes and about a month later, my fish are awesome. So I checked my water which was 0 ammonia 0nitrate 0nitrite and 7.2 ph. I literally headed right to the fish store and purchased 4 more zebra danios. Also, my pet store is AWESOME and they also checked my water, which they said was PERFECT!

It's been about 4 hours since I added them to my tank and all but one are doing great. This one little guy is hanging at the top of the water and appears to be "gliding"at the water's surface, like he's not even swimming.

Why is that? Thank you.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
usually that will indicate an unhappiness with water chemistry.. how long did it take to acclimate them before adding them? do you have a pic of the danio having trouble? any other symptoms that could help figure out his problem? does he eat? or try to move away if you put your finger near him?

OP
G

Gina423

Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
usually that will indicate an unhappiness with water chemistry.. how long did it take to acclimate them before adding them?  do you have a pic of the danio having trouble? any other symptoms that could help figure out his problem?  does he eat? or try to move away if you put your finger near him?
Like I said my water is perfect and I acclimated them for an HOUR! Danios are usually hardy so I am very confused and upset. I can't get a picture of him because now he is in a wooden log decoration and it appears like he is at the top of that, too. It's like he can't control himself rising to the top. I don't know if he eats because I just got him today and I normally don't feed my fish the first day I get them. When he was at the top I tapped my finger on the tank, he moved away but he didn't jet it like his tank mates did.

Hope this helps you help me !

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sounds like a swim bladder disorder.

there's a chance that it's constipation. the recommended treatment is: Stop feeding for 3-4 days. If symptoms persist, feed the affected fish a small amount of fresh spinach or a green pea without the skin (laxatives).

the other possibility is air in his swim bladder. one of the members here has a betta with a similiar problem. this can take a while to heal if the danio has a problem. basically it's a waiting game on that. all you can do is feed him and try to find him ways to get around.

Either way, i'd recommend a small hospital tank (seeded from your established tank to help it cycle faster) for him to make it easier to treat him.

OP
G

Gina423

Reaction score
Okay, well I won't feed them for three to four days and see how that goes. Iw ill monitor his behavior in the mean time (only I can't find the little hider right now!)

I am sure if nothing improves you will hearing from me!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gina423 said:
Okay, well I won't feed them for three to four days and see how that goes. Iw ill monitor his behavior in the mean time (only I can't find the little hider right now!)

I am sure if nothing improves you will hearing from me!
if you're not sure how long it's been since he ate, you might want to shorten the fast length. Yea, with fish like Danios a hospital tank really helps since they can't really hide. Another thing I forgot to mention was VitaChem - treating the water that he's in with it could help strengthen his system.

OP
G

Gina423

Reaction score
Ok, I will look into that, Thank you.

New Threads