Swimming Snail! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've never seen it before, the snail in my fry tank just climbed up the side of the tank and then went across the surface of the water upside down, as easily as on glass, to the other side! How do they do that? Is it the surface tension or something? Because he could change direction and move really fast.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, they do that if the water surface is not too disturbed. That's exactly right, it's the surface tension of the water. They are feeding on the proteins and stuff that collect on the surface. Only the small ones can do it though.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've seen pond snails just hanging there in midwater holding on to nothing. At closer look, they crawled on a plant then seemed to release a strand or something and moved from that plant to another plant at least two inches away with nothing surrounding them. It was a very deliberate direction.

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I too have some pond snails that will do that. Just hang upside down from the water line, swimming in circles. Perhaps mine are more playful rather than having a deliberate intention LOL. My mystery snails on the other hand.... now that's another story. They won't swim upside down...... but if you ever want to laugh put a bubble wand and a mystery snail in the same tank. They crawl up the glass amist the bubbles... get as high as they can.... and then let go. Result is snail-surfing straight across the tank. And I swear they have destinations in mind. It's not random. My guys will literally avoid all objects and pick safe landing zones.

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If this is what you mean, mine do it all the time ... they also suction their shell to the glass while they're tucked deep inside.

[video=youtube;bywyWYhpRC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywyWYhpRC0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ILikeFishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
omg haha, if i think about it, i usually see the little baby mts in my tank doing the exact same thing. They'd be upside down and floating at the surface xD, but then i just poke them and they go back down ;x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom