Swimming Behavior Shift Help

1. Cobalt Kairi Initiate Member

My calico fantail goldfish, Kakashi, has had a really rough life. I rescued him from Walmart last year. He was missing half of his dorsal fin, part of his caudal fin, and several scales. He had popeye and body slime issues. He was treated for two successive weeks in a QT until he finally showed signs of getting better. In the process, his fins grew back, his scales came back, but he unfortunately lost his right eye. Scales have covered the wound - it has been closed for a good eight months now. He is a weak swimmer and has swim bladder issues, but they are closely monitored and managed.

Recently, he has developed a habit of floating at the surface (upright) and breathing slowly. Sometimes I will approach the tank when he is doing this and it scares the bajeebus out of him. Because his respiration slows when he does this, I think he may be sleeping. I have a video of him doing this activity, but the quality of it is kind of poor because it's from my cell phone. I also have a couple of photos of him doing this, too.

He lives in Tank 1 if you check out my info. Also, I just performed a water change yesterday. This behavior had been occurring for the last two months.

Kakashi:
    112.jpg
    113.jpg
    Video
    114.jpg

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore...!!
    what a very handsome boy..im so sorry hes not feeling welll :( and i hope he gets better soon!!

what test kit are you using? im curious as the products you are using, nitraban and ammochips, will NOT allow a tank to cycle properly...and you also have 0 nitrates and that shouldnt be unless you are heavily planted with live plants...the products you are using, starve the much needed bacteria from creating a healthy bacteria colony... and if you have been using melafix regurly , that will kill the cycle as well..

i would recommend a couple weeks of daily water changes with prime conditioner..that will detox any poisons of ammonia/nitrites for 24 hours until your next water change....

3. Cobalt Kairi Initiate Member

I use the API liquid test kit and the API Nitrite and Nitrate test strips. I haven't used Nitraban in a while - I ran out and can't make the drive to Petsmart until my car is fixed, though I'll stop using it since you said it isn't good. The Melafix is used twice a month. I just tested the tank and the levels are the same except the nitrate is 10ppm. Ammonia is zero and nitrite is zero. The filter is not clogged.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

so ammonia liquid kit and nitrite/nitrate test strips? im confused about your post thats all :)

good about the nitraban...but i find it hard to believe by using melafix as often as you do, that the tank can cycle.why do you use it so often?..although some members havent had their beneficial bacteria die from melafix, many have....nitrates at 10ppm are fine ..under 20 is great....but id get a liquid kit all around...test strips give more false readings and are unreliable....api makes a great master liquid kit that has everything you need...and will do 100s of tests....again, prime always does wonders with partial water changes for just in case measures...good luck!

5. Cobalt Kairi Initiate Member

Yes.

My Synodontis lace likes to pull on the fins of my pleco (they were arguing over territory), so I use it to assist in fin regrowth. I'm considering stopping the Melafix slowly since the fin-pulling has stopped in the past week.

I'll look into the master test kit, but I've passed it up before since it's so expensive. The strips I have now are a continuous excess from university experiments. I'll look into the prime conditioner.

6. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Perhaps instead of Melafix you could try using stress coat and garlic guard regularly? They're both great to healing fins and other damage and the garlic guard gives a nice boast to a fish's immunity. Also the less exposure we give the bacteria in our tanks to meds the less chance there is of accidentally encouraging bacteria to develop immunity towards meds when we really need them. :)
    Best of luck with your boy :)

7. Cobalt Kairi Initiate Member

Okay. I'll stop using the Melafix as a fin healer. I know for a fact that my Petsmart has Stress Coat, but I'm not sure about Garlic Guard. I'll see if I can find it. I'll see if I can pick up some Prime conditioner, too. Thanks, everyone.

8. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Hang onto the Melafix though. It is great as an occasional treatment for wounds/injuries/etc. I would not use it constantly, but it is wonderful with the goldies for wounds. The ammo chips are a great idea to help absorb the excess ammonia from all your goldies and the pleco. Are you recharging them regularly? I like them because they absorb the ammonia and provide a place for the bacteria to grow and use the ammonia.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. You sure do have a beautiful Goldie!

Garlic: You can always use garlic that you may have in your house for cooking. Fresh Garlic minced or even minced garlic in a jar from the grocery store. Just a drop or two of the juice in the tank or a few drops on the food. Garlic is an immune system booster not just for fish but humans too. It also acts as a food enhancer for the fish.

Ammo Chips. (I use Marineland White Diamond brand) If your tank is cycling I don't recommend it being in the tank. I use them in my 265g tank as I'm stocked with large fish which equals large waste producers and the tank is established. I add 3/4 of a cup and change it out every 3 weeks. Gremlin mentioned "recharging" the ammo chips. I believe there are a couple of different kinds because my brand doesn't mention anything about recharging. I have seen mention of "pillows" (for different aquarium needs) that need to be recharged. Gremlin what brand are you using?

Breathing: As your fish grow and age, their breathing does slow down.

You've been given some great advice in threads above.
    Best wishes for your fish and please keep us posted.
    Ken

10. Cobalt Kairi Initiate Member

Thanks to both of you.

Gremlin: I'm planning on holding on to the Melafix as a disease treatment, just not a supplement. Yes, I'm recharging them regularly. I'm really good about that. :;tea

Aquarist: Thanks! I'll tell Kakashi you said that (lol). My poor one-eyed fishie doesn't get that too often. For the garlic, that's an amazing idea, as it's really cheap at the local Walmart. By a few drops on the food - I feed them twice per day, so should I do 4-5 drops at each feeding time?
    For the Ammochips - my tank is fully cycled, so I use them. My brand is API.
    Would his breathing slow down after 13-14 months? He's still just a fry in my eyes.

11. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I use the Pond Care Ammo Rocks - https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5187+14432&pcatid=14432 - they are larger than the White Diamond or the pillows. The way I recharge them is by simply letting them sit in the sun for a couple of days or so. I leave them in my pond for 2-3 months (at the most) then switch them out and let the old ones sit in the sun until I need them again. Since I have the regular filter going also, I don't need to worry about washing away all of my bacteria colony by taking the ammo rocks out. They look kind of neat as aquarium decor also, and that way you could take them out one or two at a time to recharge and always have some in the tank that have the good bacteria on them.

His breathing may slow down if he is sleeping. What is the water temp? My goldies slow down when the water is cooler. But they also slow way down when they are sleeping.

12. Cobalt Kairi Initiate Member

The fact that his breathing slows a little makes me think he might be sleeping when he does this; however, at night when I turn the lights off you can still see my fish, and he sleeps on the bottom of the tank in a line with the other goldfish. His breathing is even slower when he is on the bottom of the tank (versus when he sits at the surface).

The water temperature right now is 74.4 degrees Fahrenheit. It's gone down a tiny bit, 0.2, in the last couple days.

Update: He's looking a little more lively today. I made another 25% water change and fed him a little bit of seaweed with a shelled pea. I got some garlic, too, and put two drops of the juice in the tank. I was thinking, I have these garlic croutons in little packets. Would it be okay to chop one up, soak it, and give it to them every other day along with their normal food (in a slightly smaller amount to balance out the crouton)? Or are there too many preservatives in croutons?