Swimming against current?

1. markah1

markah1 Valued Member Member

Has anybody else seen their guppies swimming against the current? My filter isn't very strong, in fact, its actually pretty weak but one of my female guppies has recently started to swim against the current for hours at a time. When she isn't, she seems perfectly healthy. I have had this tank for over a year and the test readings came out normal.

Should I be worried?

2. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

My guppies play in the current of my filter and in the bubbles from the bubble wand all the time. Although mine swimm in crazy darting patterns, not in one place.

3. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Occasionally my guppies swim against the current. They act normal and healthy, so I don't worry about it much. They still eat a lot.

4. PrairieSunflower

PrairieSunflower New Member Member

Mine also do the crazy darting through the current... mostly they explore through the plants though. Do you have a lot of plants in your tank? Maybe they don't have a lot else to do? Don't know.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

More than likely what you are seeing is normal, however, check your fish for parasites/ICH to be on the safe side. Sometimes fish that swim in the current can be a sign of parasites just like flashing, when they try to scratch an itch due to parasites. The current gives them a bit of relief from the parasites.

Ken

6. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree it is most likely just the fish out for a swim, but ken does make some good points, whenever a fish changes behavior its always worth it to give it a once over.

7. Sara&CoreyMN

Sara&CoreyMN Valued Member Member

My platy loves to munch on the bubbles. He doesn't do it all the time but I notice him doing it now and again. It does look like fun, sometimes I wish I could morph into a fish and chill with my little guys. Oh what a world that would be.