Swim Bladder?

Ph404

I’ve had a tetra for about a year now. A few weeks ago it developed what I believed to be swim bladder. Initially I had noticed that another fish had nipped to top of his tail and thought that that was causing the issue. Most recently it will have difficulty staying afloat and will often times be found swimming “upstream” towards flow of filter water. Now it is swimming sideways in the tank but is able to upright itself when food is introduced or when we enter the room and it thinks food is coming.
Tried common treatments for swim bladder but they did not work. Anything else I can be doing? Just feel really bad that it has to live this way.

betta06

can you get a picture of him?

Ph404

can you get a picture of him?
Sorry for the very delayed response. I attached photos but as he is in constant motion, it was tough to get a good one. He spends his time trying to stay off the bottom but once food is introduced, he swims good until all of the food is gone. I’m really at a loss on this one.

Attachments

• 31EE5D26-8029-4652-B752-FB417A28707F.jpeg
    31EE5D26-8029-4652-B752-FB417A28707F.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 24
  • E324A558-9375-4663-9FD7-4E7F00D06B16.jpeg
    E324A558-9375-4663-9FD7-4E7F00D06B16.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 22

betta06

I am guessing you tried the epson salt bath and fasting?

alven

IMO it seems like swim bladder which can be caused from a variety of things. You should probably test your tank with the master testing kit then go from there. I also heard the cooked peas help with swim bladder + fasting.

Ph404

I am guessing you tried the epson salt bath and fasting?
Yes. Feel bad for this guy. Poor quality of life. Been going strong for a while now.
IMO it seems like swim bladder which can be caused from a variety of things. You should probably test your tank with the master testing kit then go from there. I also heard the cooked peas help with swim bladder + fasting.
Thanks. Tested and tried peas. No luck so far.

Mhalling

Yes. Feel bad for this guy. Poor quality of life. Been going strong for a while now.

Thanks. Tested and tried peas. No luck so far.
So I am dealing with a swin bladder issue right now too. I noticed that the current was causing my goldfish to work really hard trying to stay upright..it got so tired that it finally started floating belly up.

What you need to do is create a sick tank
.take a plastic rectangular like a cookie Tupperware bin and get it set up with a heater and 1 bubbler on low. With just enough water to float the fish and cover its top fins this will help it from flipping sideways or upside down with basically causes the fish to suffocate as the gills don't work properly that way. I fasted for 2 days and treated the sick tank with aquarium salt and the water conditioner you use when you do the water changes. I used the water from my large fish tank to set up the sick tank to not shock it too bad. I am going on day 4 now of them being in the sick tank and feeding them skinned cooked peas 1x a day. My goldfish doesn't necessarily like the peas but he eats them cuz that's all I'm presenting. He is doing better now.. I feel if you follow these steps you will do better too?

Now I have a fungus growth I think due to extra stress from being separated from the family but. I'll deal with that too!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Angelfish1
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies
Views