Swim Bladder Problems

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tiger Barb is starting to do headstands while swimming, I'm guessing it's swim bladder related, started 2 days ago. How would I go about curing it? I fed green peas today and will again tomorrow, if that doesn't help, I'm willing to medicate in a QT for a bacterial infection. What meds are used for this? Thanks

Swampgorilla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay ... water quality ... 0 ammonia / 0 nitrite / and low nitrate (I recommend below 20ppm).

Temperature? Set it up at the high range for the species. It could help with constipation if that's the problem. Don't feed the fish for a few days.

If the problem continues ... then I'd recommend a more gentle treatment regimen ... you could try API General Cure at first. Broad spectrum anti-biotics.

The danger here - is overtreating the fish when you don't know what the heck is going on with it. Some fish just develop swim bladder issues for no other reason than a genetic defect.

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The conditions weren't ideal as the tank wasn't home for a while since I moved, and was kept mostly at 72F. Long story short, I finally moved the tank to my place, did a 100% wc, only had 5 gallons of original water. I moved the fish to a 5 gal, and got a closer look and that between her bottom 2 fins, its really red. Also on her side it's about a 2mmx2mm red dot as well. The symptoms show swim bladder and flukes. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Got a video in the 5g. I fed peas, shes not eating and moving around the tank doing powerslides on her stomach. Any ideas what to try?

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since her abdomen is red, I'm pretty sure it's septicemia. Going to buy some Tetra Life Guard. How about the other fish? Wouldn't they be infected too?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom