Swim Bladder problem & feeding fish peas. Help 

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm pretty sure my female balloon molly has a swim bladder issue. She had been spending time at the bottom of the tank, nose down in the gravel. From time to time her male buddy will swim over to her, scare the **** out of her, and she swims again. She is able to maintain a horizontal position, but has lots of trouble getting to the surface of the water to eat. Sometimes she gets to the surface of the water and then takes a nose dive to the bottom.

Due to their small tank size the water quality is very poor. I do 50% water changes daily with Prime. The female looks like her belly has gotten a bit rounder. I've also realized that for 2 fish who are ALWAYS pooping, I haven't seen her poop in a couple days... it's quite possible she was over fed and is constipated since A) She gets SUPER aggressive towards the male during feeding time... and B) To remedy that issue, I feed them a little bit more so that she doesn't feel the need to get mean... and therefore, she gets most of the food.

I segregating her (so I didn't over-pollute their fish water anymore) and tried feeding her cooked peas with the skin removed, but she was so frantic being in a new space that I couldn't get her attention to see the peas. Ultimately I decided it was better for her to just go back in her normal tank.

My question is - How can I get her to eat the peas?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make sure you don't use tinned peas. Many of those are full of preservatives that are no good for the fishes health & that the fish don't seem to like very much. Boiled fresh peas are best. Squeeze them out of their shells & drop them in the tank. Maybe squish half a pea up a little & just feed that. Squisheing them so that they wash around in smaller pieces often does the trick. You could also try soaking the boiled & shelled pea in garlic juice for a few minutes to see if that makes them more appealing to the fish.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used frozen peas. I put them in some water & microwaved them. I tried a few different ways... Smooshing them in my fingers and dropping them in, using 1/2 a pea and dropping it in the water... kinda making it dangle off the tip of my finger and letting it sit just below the water.... She never noticed, only once... and she promptly spat it out. I will try they garlic juice thing.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads