swim bladder issue

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I think one of my new blue rasboras came home with a swim bladder issue. Its swimming innflips, keeps swimming on its side. It got caught on the filter intake and I had to free it. I doubt it will survive the night. Is there a possibility of this problem being contageous?

Could the nls small fish pellet have caused a blockage that would cause swimming problems in.less than 2 hrs?

Poor little guy is flipping around on the gravel at this point

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Swim bladder isn't contagious. If it is swim bladder, you could try feeding him a shelled, cooked pea cut into quarters. That's always worked for me. I acquired a large fantail goldfish with swim bladder problems and the pea method has already made him much better.

In my experience, bloat starts slow then can get bad very quickly. Maybe someone else will have some better advice here.

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Not really a bloats issue, more balance innthe water. Sideways swimming, with odd thrashy flips

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pretty sure hes dying. Just trying to figure out if its a danger to the rest of the school, or if there's anything I can do for the rest

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You may want to pull him out and either put him in QT or put him down. Swimbladder issues are not contagious, but whatever else is causing the erratic swimming (or likely dying...) may be.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It does not sound like swim bladder. Swim bladder issues affect the fish's ability to maintain it's depth in the water, so they will either sink to the bottom or float on the surface. Erratic swimming could literally be anything. I would cull the fish - there is no good that can come from leaving it in the tank, and it sounds like the end is near.

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nature took care of it. Poor little guy got stuck to the intake.

No irradic swimming from the rest........is there anything I can do but keep watching?

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ill do 25% first thing tomw......its a little late to drag my buckets out.

Did test the water 0-0-5, ph7.5

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just pulled an erratic swimmer out of a tank yesterday. When I see it I take care of it immediately - I don't like to wait any longer than necessary.

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I realize figuring out what got him is almost impossible, but is there anything to watch for with the rest? He went pretty quick, no noticible issues til I started posting, gone in an hour.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One time I was watching a tank of fish, trying to pick out which fish I didn't want. I only buy if the tank looks good, so I don't choose which fish I want unless they stand out to me - I pick out the ones I don't want because if there are more than a few I'm not buying. Anyway, I watched this tank for close to a half hour and couldn't find one I didn't like. So I called the girl over, and as soon as she puts the net in the water one of them dies immediately. Could have had an aneurism for all I know. I've never seen a fish die so quickly. There are all kinds of things that can go wrong internally that there's just no way of knowing.

Did you notice anything about the fish? was it lumpy anywhere? was it's spine straight? did it swim in circles ever? Those are things to look for as the fish grows. Not that you'll always be able to determine what the problem is, but at least you'll know there is a problem if you see those things.

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Some discoloration after it died but that was it. No curved spine, the only circles i think were curent driven towards tge end.The other six still were swimming normal when the light went off, here's hopeing they stay that way

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't worry then. If this happens to another, then I would start to be concerned.

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So a second one died over night. Found it in the gravel. I think it was the one swimming by itself, not really schooling. A potential third isn't swimming much and pretty stationary innthe tank. Its still adjusting itself innthe water, but not joining the school exploring. The other four seem happy and adjusted. Cruising around the middle top of the tank, just sipping and looking around

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's not fun when they start dropping like that. Hopefully they are just the weak ones dying off and not the start of something worse. I don't know what you can do but keep an eye on it and consider what's best for the healthy ones. Were it my tank, I would remove such fish as soon as they start acting weird.

featherblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't want to condemn this one too early, but if it shows any othervsymptoms I'm going to pull it. Hes still swimming some, I hope hes building up some energy to beat whatever this is. His color is still bright as well.

I did dripnacclimate in a 5g bucket, hoping to avoidvstress issues, like I hope this is. Pull thru little guys

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom