Swim Bladder Issue Genetic?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by djs42, Apr 12, 2019.

1. djs42New MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3.7 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? Approx 4 months
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 78 f
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) One female Betta

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    Weekly How much of the water do you change? 59%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Used cycled media from another tank
    What do you use to test the water? API Master
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate: did not test but should not be an issue with live plants and 50% water change
    pH:7.6

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Once daily
    How much do you feed your fish? One pellet or brine shrimp or bloodworm or daphnia
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Northfin but on all frozen now
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 4 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 months ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Constant swim bladder issues with a few good days mixed in
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? I’ve tried different foods switching to all frozen
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I suppose she was
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? She is miserable and skinny because she can’t eat anything without going belly up afterwards

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    I’m at a loss of what I can do for her, she is wasting away and I’m hoping for some good suggestions
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Do you have pictures?

3. djs42New MemberMember

F9589327-5AAD-46A6-A341-AD0CC2217C19.png
    A0B5CA63-0DEC-4B04-9C5F-F9957D393C34.jpeg

Her bad days way outnumber her good. I’m hoping I can find something that works for her. I believe she has gotten worse on frozen thawed so back to a pellet last night. This AM she is having a good morning

4. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Test your nitrates. If your tank is cycled, that is usually the only parameter that gets messed up and Bettas are sensitive to high nitrate levels. It may very well be a problem she acquired when she was small. Turn your tank temp up to 80 (warmer water may help), soak any dry pellets you feed her, and see if you can get some frozen daphnia and try feeding her a little of that. I've seen some posts that the fiber it provides can help relieve intestinal pressure that might be affecting the swim bladder. Swim bladder can be caused (and made worse) by a lot of different issues. If it persists and interferes with eating or breathing it can be ultimately fatal. If no other members jump on here with suggestions, try getting a moderator to repost it in an "unanswered" thread. (I think they can do that) I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas. Good luck with your girl. :emoji_tropical_fish:

5. djs42New MemberMember

Thank you! I will test nitrates in the AM. And bump heat. I do soak pellets before feeding and she is getting daphnia with the same results.