Swim Bladder / Fin Rot(?)... Help Please!

Dana Rizzo

Reaction score
Hi all,
I know I just posted kind of recently, but I have a new situation that I really need your help with...

My Betta is (I think) about 2 and a half years old. I woke up the other day and he was sinking when he swam or curling up lying down on the bottom of the tank and wasn’t really his usual active self. He still had an appetite though. I assumed it was swim bladder and let him fast for 3 days. Nothing really changed so I tried the frozen pea trick at the end of the 3 days (yesterday). Didn’t notice any change today. I’ve also been changing his water and I think it might be helping a tiny bit but not much.

If the pea didn’t work, what else can I do? Try the pea again? Could this be more of a bacterial/internal thing? Or is he just getting old?

Also I talked to the pet store worker and he agreed that we didn’t want to overmedicate him if we didn’t know exactly what was going on. Thoughts??

His water levels are good, so I eliminated that. He is in a 2.5g with a sponge filter, heater, and silk plants.

on a side note, his fins are completely ruined. They’ve been permanently damaged for almost a year now and just recently I think they’ve gotten even worse. Hard to tell. And I’ve tried treating that too. I don’t know what else to do with them..

Thank you all!! I just want to help my little guy if I can.

Attachments

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
I know I just posted kind of recently, but I have a new situation that I really need your help with...

My Betta is (I think) about 2 and a half years old. I woke up the other day and he was sinking when he swam or curling up lying down on the bottom of the tank and wasn’t really his usual active self. He still had an appetite though. I assumed it was swim bladder and let him fast for 3 days. Nothing really changed so I tried the frozen pea trick at the end of the 3 days (yesterday). Didn’t notice any change today. I’ve also been changing his water and I think it might be helping a tiny bit but not much.

If the pea didn’t work, what else can I do? Try the pea again? Could this be more of a bacterial/internal thing? Or is he just getting old?

Also I talked to the pet store worker and he agreed that we didn’t want to overmedicate him if we didn’t know exactly what was going on. Thoughts??

His water levels are good, so I eliminated that. He is in a 2.5g with a sponge filter, heater, and silk plants.

on a side note, his fins are completely ruined. They’ve been permanently damaged for almost a year now and just recently I think they’ve gotten even worse. Hard to tell. And I’ve tried treating that too. I don’t know what else to do with them..

Thank you all!! I just want to help my little guy if I can.
His fins will repair themself with lots of water changes and time. Throw some indian almond leaves in his tank for the tannins as well. They have some healing benefits and preventive benefits as well. As far as the bloating keep fasting him and give him the pea until he poops. Sometimes i have heard it said it could take a week in sone cases.

Dana Rizzo

Reaction score
His fins will repair themself with lots of water changes and time. Throw some indian almond leaves in his tank for the tannins as well. They have some healing benefits and preventive benefits as well. As far as the bloating keep fasting him and give him the pea until he poops. Sometimes i have heard it said it could take a week in sone cases.
Thank you for your response!! I do have Indian almond leaves in there. Is there a chance it’s more than just constipation? How often do you recommend giving the pea and how many days fasting? No regular pellets at all?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom