Help Swim Bladder Disorder

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello everyone! Just yesterday I rescued a male Crowntail betta from my local pet store because he was floating in his cup and could not keep himself upright. I brought him home, put him in a bowl (temporarily— just because he won’t have to struggle with any current from filters and its not too deep so he can try to swim down). I’m trying really hard to help this little guy and I’m going to try fasting him— he’s bloated pretty bad— and giving him cut frozen peas after a day or two and keeping his tank extra clean. I was wondering if anyone had any advice that could help me to help little Claude out. I’ve done extensive research on swim bladder disorder before but this is my first time actually trying to cure it. I decided to try to help him because I figured that he was probably going to die in his cup anyways and it would be worth a try to save him but I fear that he won’t make it. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can also try an epsom salt bath. I’ve seen videos where in severe cases of swim bladder the fish will be anesthetized with clove oil, then a small syringe is used to remove the air bubble from the swim bladder, but that would be very hard to do on a fish as small as a betta. Hopefully the air will pass on its own

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update: Good news!! Today I saw Claude swimming around on his own with no problems floating up! I will feed him a little bit tonight and hope that we only go forward from here. I’m so glad that I could save him before he died in the pet stores cup and I’m very lucky to have him—he has a great personality

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom