Swim Bladder Disorder Won't Fix! Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by tiff, May 2, 2019.

1. tiff

tiffNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 40L
    How long has the tank been running? 5 years
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 26 Celsius (= 78.8 F)
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 angelfish, 4 neon tetras, 2 catfish and hundreds of baby snails that I have never been able to control the population of...

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? every 2 weeks
    How much of the water do you change? 30-40%
    What do you use to treat your water? Water Conditioner, Aquarium Salt
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? pH Indicator
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. ...no idea, don't have a test kit sorry :'( ...

Ammonia: ?
    Nitrite: ?
    Nitrate: ?
    pH: 7.0

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? once a day
    How much do you feed your fish? as much as they can eat in 2mins max
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? generic flake food (submerged in tank so doesn't float) and generic algae wafers
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Recently added once a week frozen peas.

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? Over 2 years
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2.5 weeks ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Started off with bloated stomach and buoyancy problems, was swimming upside down vertically in circles.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? Fasted for 3 days, frozen peas-only diet for 3 days, started to look a lot better so mixed pea and flake food... then got worse again, so fasted for a day and back to peas-only diet... did first epsom salt bath today.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Stomach no longer bloated, and she is upright now, right at the top of her hospital tank, but cannot swim downwards. After she is fed food, she loses buoyancy again and tips sideways or upside down... But by the next night, she will be upright again.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    2.5 weeks ago, I found my Molly swimming upside down, vertically in circles at the bottom of the tank, and bloated. I immediately assumed it was Swim Bladder Disorder.

I moved her to a hospital tank and fasted her for 3 days. She was fed frozen peas for 3 days after and she is upright now, right at the top of her hospital tank, and unable to swim downwards. She looked better, so I tried a mix of frozen peas and flake food (just because she seemed to hate peas, and I was just happy she still had an appetite)... The next day she was still right at the top of the tank but was upside down. She recovered back to an upright position that night... But this has become a pattern now after being given any type of food (just pea-only diet now) - she'll tip upside down and then recover to an upright position by the next night. At this point, she has been pooing small droplets - so definitely not constipation.

She has now been fasted for another day and I attempted my first epsom salt bath today (1 tablespoon per gallon for 12mins in the first bath, then 1/4 tablespoon per gallon for 5 mins in the second bath). Nothing in her swimming has changed - she is upright at the top of the tank. But she has had a long, white string poo after the epsom salt bath.

This is the first time I've had a fish sick with swim bladder disorder, so I know my attempt at treating her was probably wrong in many ways. Hopefully, you guys can help me figure out what to do! Maybe another epsom salt bath in a few days? Thank you for any and all suggestions!

2. OP
    OP
    tiff

tiffNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0