Swim Bladder Disorder Going Back And Forth, Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by XemualliugX, Apr 14, 2017.

1. X

XemualliugX New Member Member

Hey guys,
    I've had my betta for approx. 5 months now, but lately, I had cases of swim bladder disorder. I woke up one morning and my betta was really bloated, and was floating sideways on top of the water, but he was still active, even though having difficulty to swim. I came home from work that day, did a 20% water change and added aquarium salt in the water. Few hours later, he was almost back to his normal state. I fasted him for 3 days straignt then restarted feeding him gradually.

3-4 days later, the same thing happened, so coming back home from work, I did a 20% water change, and few hours later he was almost back to normal again, but a few hours later he was bloated again and was floating sideways again, i have been fasting him ever since, and I was planning on feeding him frozen peas tomorrow.

I keep him in a 2.65 gal. Cycled and heated to 78° tank. I do 20% water changes twice weekly and i feed him two pellets in the morning, and one before going to bed, freezedried bloodworms once a week, and fast him once a week too..

2. SuperK

SuperK Well Known Member Member

I feel like you may be feeding him a little too much, their stomachs are only the size of their eyes remember
    However I could be wrong, I don't feed my fish every single day and give them a day or so to fast
    Are you soaking your food before you feed them? They can suck in air if food is dry and on the surface, causing bloating. Only other thing I can think of is that somehow his swim bladder has burst (possible) which may mean this is possibly untreatable. Btw, salt really isn't that useful for this kinda stuff. It won't do anything for swim bladder imo.

Are you deshelling the peas and cooking them at all? How big are the pieces? It could be making him more bloated if they're too big.

3. OP
    OP
    X

If his swim bladder had burst, would he be back to normal every now and then, like he did a few times? And what would this implicate?

And I haven't tried peas yet, the first time the fasting worked, so I didn't need them, but as I read on the internet, I will deshell the pea after cooking it thoroughly, and feed him approx 1/8 of the pea. Would this be alright?

And after the recent events i will try to feed him less, like one pellet, twice a day at ma

4. OP
    OP
    X

*at max.
    And I will also try to soak the pellets too.

Thanks!

5. SuperK

SuperK Well Known Member Member

That sounds good

I'm not a ichthyologist, so don't quote me on this, but he may have possibly had something wrong with it that was alright for a while but then got worse? I'm really not sure, it is odd, but chances are he could've just become bloated again.

6. OP
    OP
    X

Thanks a lot for the help, I will put it to good use :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice