Swim Bladder Disease? Help

1. Friday Grayson

Friday Grayson New Member Member

Hello,

I'm new to these forums and to taking care of fish as a hobby. Today, I have a Betta named Gears. I rescued him from a friend's "jar" when I noticed he wasn't doing too well (floating at the water line, very lethargic, dull color, etc.) and when I mentioned it, she told me she was planning to "mercy kill" him. I offered to take him (she gladly handed me the jar on the way out the door) and I moved some fish around so he could get the 5 gallon I had in the kitchen that way I could keep an eye on him.

I've had him for a good couple of weeks now and his color and some of his energy is back but he has a large lump on both sides of his abdomen which I'm assuming is his swim bladder since he still can't swim further than an inch and a half down into the tank. I've kept my pH balance consistent along with everything else but he's not showing any improvement. I've even tried the "feed him a fourth of a pea a day" method. I switched his diet from pellets to dried bloodworms as well since he spat out the pellets during mealtimes. I'm just at a loss for what to do. Has anyone had these kinds of persistent issues with a betta before? I'm mostly concerned about the lump in his abdomen!

I've attached some pics of Gears for reference: 20180620_205831.jpg 20180621_220754.jpg
    20180621_220801.jpg 20180621_220736.jpg

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

I would stop feeding him bloodworms.. they can cause bloating very quickly!!! Maybe that is the problem!!

3. OP
    OP
    Friday Grayson

I fasted him off of them for several days to see if that was the issue and it didn't make any sort of change. He refuses to eat the pellets and I don't want him to starve. What other things can I feed him that may help avoid bloating?

4. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Hmm.. @Fanatic @CanadianFishFan

5. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

I have a betta who has those 'lumps' in his side too and he bloats in the front as well. Always had swimming issues since I got him. He has finally stopped floating on his side though after about a month. He won't eat large pellets, but I feed him Betta Bio-Gold and he has been doing much better on that! But I would say if the betta is having trouble swimming in a tank that "large' as a 5.5, maybe try him on something shallower for a bit just until he gets better. Then gradually move him up. Mine also had a lot of issues in his 5.5 gallon, and reducing the amount of water in his tank really seemed to help him. He's still not back in his 5.5, as it's been about a week since he stopped floating side ways, but he is moving up in tank sizes and doing better. Not sure if this will help your betta, but it seemed to help mine!

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, sorry about these issues! :(

You can see his swim bladder, and it’s noticeably swelled up on that side, which is the side he’s listing from. I think he does have some SBD going on. You can fast him, and try feeding a pea. I would lower the water level about halfway, and keep it clean and warm.

7. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Uh some say daphnia or pea cant help with bloated. What was he eating before?

8. OP
    OP
    Friday Grayson

Okay! I'll try the Bio-Gold and adjusting the water level in the tank later this week to see if that helps. Thank you for the advice!

9. OP
    OP
    Friday Grayson

He was eating typical Betta pellets and I fed him 1/4 of a pea a day for about 4 or 5 days last week and it had no effect. I was worried that he wouldn't be getting the nutrients he needs just from peas so I switched him back to blood worms every other day to put him back on a regular diet

10. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Im sorry i cant help, that just makes no sense why nothing works.

11. OP
    OP
    Friday Grayson

Going to try the water level adjustment but peas haven't worked the few days that I tried them. He loved eating them but they didn't have any effect. A previous comment mentioned using Bio-Gold so I may be trying that instead of the pea method

12. OP
    OP
    Friday Grayson

It's okay. Its quite a mystery to myself as well. Some comments have been pretty helpful with new suggestions so I'll have to give the other options a shot to see if it helps. I'll be lowering the water level and feeding Bio-Gold towards the end of the week and I'll update if there are any changes :)