swim bladder disease..is it contageous??

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi there i recently purchased 4 green tigerbarbs to add to my school of 6 normal tigerbarbs..unfortunatly 1 died in less than 24 hours and another died after about 30 hours. ..they were ok until i woke the next morning to find one trying to swim but he couldnt,he was just getting pushed around in the tanks current on the surface..somtimes upsidedown..i think this is swim bladder disease..anyway he died very quickly,iput him in a fry container inside the tank to isolate him from the other fishies just in case he wasnt actually dead..i went to work ,came home and he was definatly dead..( turned pure white).and another of my new green tigerbarbs was doing the same thing. .again isolation..the 2 remaining green barbs seem fine..for now..i was just wondering if this is a contageous disease as i dont want to wipe out my whole tank, i`ll be devistated if that happens..also should swim bladder disease kill them so quick..there is no fin nipping going on and all there fins were untouched,they just couldnt swim 10 minutes later dead.. > ...other than that there is no visable symptoms.very worried also what medication can be used to treat swim bladder disease? ??? ?..if that is what they have? please help?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The main cause of Swim Bladder Disease is one of two things generally. Sudden change in temperture is listed as one cause and the other is gulping of air while feeding greedily at the surface. Other books list damage as the main cause in aggressive species which your barbs would certainly fall into. Other causes would be constipation, tumors, dropsy and bacterial disease.

Because it affected two fish and not the others right away I would say it was not the change in temperature. I would not know about the gulping of food and air together, but I would guess that they have the potential to be aggressive toward each other and especially if they are males. They could have injured one another. I would doubt that both would have had a tumor just by chance without there being a sign of it when you purchased them. Dropsy has other symptoms that you would have noted (scales standing out like a pinecone when viewed from above, bloating). Bacterial infection is another matter. If you are seeing any of the normal symptoms of fish stress, (lack of activity, loss of apetite, sitting at the bottom of the tank, loss of color) then you may want to try an antibiotic agent like Melafix. But if they are seemingly okay in every way then I would watch very closely the amount they are being fed and make sure they are not being overfed. Also make sure they are being kept at the temperature level appropriate for their nature (23C - 28C) or (73F - 82F).

Rose

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanx chickadee. .well i woke up this morning and the remainig 2 green tigerbarbs are still ok,no symptoms at all..i floated the bag for a good 15 min,i also got some new plants at the same time as the barbs.adding tankwater to the bag say every 5 min for about a half an hour while i planted the new plants,i didnt rellease them until all the plants were in..and i only fed them a tiny bit because i know you shouldnt feed them at all after introducing new fish for 24 hours..so i dont think it was a sudden temp change or over feeding..my tank temp is at 27C and it is most of the time..it definatly wasnt dropsy there was no sighn of bloating at all..and i seen no aggresive behaviour from any of them,like i said there fins were untouched..seems very strange that they did die so quick too..another thing i think it could be if my information is correct,green tigerbarbs are injected with dye i think,didnt find this out until after i had them..could that have anything to do with it?? ??? ..if i had have known this i dont think i would have got them,thats bound to shorten there life span..but i think that is good news,it isnt really a contageous disease.. ;D .thats a relief.. there was a few dead fish in the tanks at the lfs i went to,but not the tank i got the barbs out of.. > .i definatly wont be getting any more fish from there,and i havent in the past for that reason..they do have a good selection of live plants though,with heaps of free snails. ..anyway thanx again chickadee ..

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
By the way i only intended to get 2 more barbs,but there were only 4 in the tank with a few diferent type of fish at the lfs..so i just got all the barbs so that the other 2 barbs wernt left in there by themselves.im a bit of a sucker that way..not how i really wanted it to turn out though. : ...hopfully the other 2 will be ok..fingers crossed... again thanx a lot.

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi there well so far so good.the new additions are doing well and they have no sighn of disease.they seem to be getting along great with the six normal tigers i allready have,although the new ones are a lot smaller.i think spot my biggest tiger is protecting them from the others as when they start to chase the new ones spot steps in and makes sure they leave them alone..spot has done this before when i got an injured tigerbarb with a torn fin,all the others wanted to attack him but spot stood up for him and they are the best of friends now.. ;D .this is the one i call apache because his dorsal fin has never healed properly and it looks like an American indians head dress..(like feathers).. ..i dont have any questions just letting u all know that they are doing ok..i wiil post some pics of them when i get a chance...thanx again ;D ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom