Swim Bladder Disease And...?

1. B

Bebos&Izumi New Member Member

Hey Y'all,

Our black molly, Ama, has been acting funny lately. Swimming with him tail up and having trouble swimming down. I fasted him, but still the same. Still super peppy and zippy and always hungry, but swimming still funny. Now, he has weird silver patches on his sides, as you can kinda see in the pictures. It only shows in the light, which makes it harder to get pics.
    2dc73dac9e5c36df0cc3aa7f801a03c7.jpg
    834c94a7b08b5ffaea55064eeef91a05.jpg
    88ab7f2a10cee25b6306be1b281197de.jpg
    Any thoughts on what this might be and how to treat it?
    He's in a 40 gallon, temp is 78, aquarium salt added. Nitrites and ammonia are 0, pH is 7.2-7.4
    Thanks in advance for the help!!

2. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

Can you get a picture from above? I can not see his swim bladder or any enlargement from these angles and lighting. Black fish and white fish it's really hard to see it in photos.

He does look bloated a bit though. What does his diet consist of? Have you tried an Epson salt bath? Have you tried boiled and deshelled frozen peas?

3. OP
    OP
    B

I'm at work right now so I won't be able to take a pic until later this evening, but it doesn't look like he's super bloated, of at all, from what I can tell.
    For dinner he gets some sort of frozen food (blood worms, daphnia, etc), and then in the morning I feed them a variety of different tetra flakes, usually of the veggie variety.
    I have not tried an epsom salt bath, I've heard that stresses them out. Granted, he's pretty healthy right now besides the weird floating. He's not a fan of peas but I can try again.
    Any thoughts on the shiny sides, if it's not pineconing?

4. Dragones5150918

The scales do look like they are sticking out a bit, but still having a hard time determining what exactly I'm seeing. Going by the first picture, and how his stomach is shaped is why I used the wording bloat. It looks like digestive tract full, like constipation or some light fluid retention. Since he is not a fan of peas, the Epson salt will pull any excess fluid out of his system, and it works like a laxtixe. This way we can rule out two things with one non evasive treatment.

Epson salt is not normally hard on the fish is used in a bath (30 minute soak), providing it is not over used or to much at one time. Normal dosing is 1 tablespoon per gallon. Can use less per gallon, but it will take longer to work.

5. OP
    OP
    B

OK, fantastic. So when I get home I'll do a bath for 30 minutes in clean water, 1 tablespoon per gallon (I have a bucket specifically for baths like these), and see if that helps. How often should I do this? And thank you!!!

6. Dragones5150918

Start with one 30 minute treatment, and watch him for a few hours to see if he poops or the slight distention reduces. If no improvement with in 6 hours, try again. You can use the same bath water as long as it's the same temp as the tank. If you do the second treatment, toss out the bath water then. If 6 hours does not work for you, just make sure a second bath is done with in 12 hours of last treatment.