Question Swim Bladder Disease And Fasting

LoveMyFish77

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, so I think one of my fish has swim bladder disease. He swims vertically and has a hard time staying up and keeps falling back towards the bottom of the tank. I read that the first way to treat is to fast for 3 days. Is this safe for all the fish?
I prefer not to quarantine if I don't have to because in my experience quarantine only stresses the fish out more if he's acutely ill.
Also, I think the cause of the swim bladder is he's been gulping air at the surface. It's not an oxygenation problem because I have 2 filters circulating water as well as an air pump, and none of my other fish show any signs of low oxygen. I'm not sure what's causing him to swim to the surface so much but I'm guessing that's what caused the swim bladder

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What kind of fish is it? I've heard that peas with the skin peeled off are good for treating swim bladder diseases for gouramis and goldfish (and some others).

OP
L

LoveMyFish77

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RyanC14 said:
What kind of fish is it? I've heard that peas with the skin peeled off are good for treating swim bladder diseases for gouramis and goldfish (and some others).
He's a glofish tetra.

I don't understand why he's gulping for air. Everyone else is fine and I have lots of sources of oxygenation.

Attachments

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LoveMyFish77 said:
I don't understand why he's gulping for air. Everyone else is fine and I have lots of sources of oxygenation.
Have you tested the parameters? Some fish are just a little a weaker than others, could be a nitrite issue.

OP
L

LoveMyFish77

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RyanC14 said:
Have you tested the parameters? Some fish are just a little a weaker than others, could be a nitrite issue.
nitrites are at 0, but ammonia is at .25 because I had to take the carbon out and reduce water changes to medicate. He's very old, so maybe he's reacting to the ammonia because he's weaker?

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LoveMyFish77 said:
nitrites are at 0, but ammonia is at .25 because I had to take the carbon out and reduce water changes to medicate. He's very old, so maybe he's reacting to the ammonia because he's weaker?
That could be it, how old is he?

OP
L

LoveMyFish77

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Could it be a parasite that's making him gasp for air?

RyanC14 said:
That could be it, how old is he?
He's almost 4 years old. He's swimming almost horizontally now at the surface of the water

OP
L

LoveMyFish77

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RyanC14 said:
He may just be passing of old age apparently these tetras usually live about 3-5 years.
I'm not ready for him to die he was the first fish my boyfriend helped me pick out back in college

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm
LoveMyFish77 said:
I'm not ready for him to die he was the first fish my boyfriend helped me pick out back in college
I'm so sorry , but at least you gave him a good life, not all fishkeepers keep their fish alive throughout their entire life.

OP
L

LoveMyFish77

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RyanC14 said:
I'm

I'm so sorry , but at least you gave him a good life, not all fishkeepers keep their fish alive throughout their entire life.
Thanks...

New Threads