Swim Bladder Betta Treatment

1. Magpie

Magpie New Member Member

Hi! My veiltail, Apollo, DEFINETELY has swim bladder (probably from INHALING his food, he is very enthusiastic.) Online, the treatment for non-bacterial caused swim bladder seems to be to lower the water level and increase the water temperature- Two questions- My heater doesn't have a way to adjust the temperature, how essential is this step? Second, how can I continue to run my filter at a lower water level? Would I be better off just getting him a leaf hammock?

2. D

Desi New Member Member

You don't have to worry about dropping the temperature of your tank that may do more harm then good since Bettas are tropical fish. I have several Betta aquariums and what I do for the filter flow is cut a water bottle in have then make a slit down the middle then tape the bottle to the filter to lessen the flow. You can find this step by step on youtube.
    Now for the swim bladder. You can start by adding aquarium salt to your tank, follow the measurements given on the salt. If your fish is eating you may give him a boiled de-shelled pea. I hope he gets better!

3. OP
    OP
    Magpie

Magpie New Member Member

Thank you so much friend. Unfortunately, my Apollo passed away this morning, but I will take your advice to heart for future incidents with my other babies!

4. RobinWhiskers

RobinWhiskers Valued Member Member

Sorry to hear that...was it from the SBD do you think? I have a female Betta that has it.

5. OP
    OP
    Magpie

Magpie New Member Member

I suspect he might have drowned because he wasn't strong enough to get to the surface- I lowered the water level but it must not have been enough. :(