Swich From 5g To 10g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Axman01, Jul 30, 2017.

1. A

Axman01 Valued Member Member

Hey guys, so i have a 5 gallon tank, which is still being cycled (3 days in), with 2 danios!! Although, i realized that 5 gallons was too small for any fish really, so im returning thr dans and switching to 10 gallons right away when i go to retun them (tommrow)! So, i was wondering will i have to go thru shole cyxle again??
    Also, will i have to wait 2 days before adding new platys again? Or could i just put them in it since i am gonna add all the water from ky 5g to the new tank, and than fill remaining 5g with new water???
    Also, im gonna use all the gravel and other stuff to keep my bacterias, but im not sure bout thr filter cartridge, the new filter i will be getting for 10g has much bigger and diff cartridges, so do i jist wash my current cartridges in the new tanks water to add the bacteria??

Please help me before i get my new tank!

Thank you so much!!!!!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Have you added any bacterial starter? And out of curiosity, why don't you do a fishless cycle? If you are switching to a 10g and rehoming the danios, you'll have a clean set-up to start with.

If not, that's ok :). So what are you using now for the filter on the 5g? And what do you think you want to use for the 10g. Also, the bacteria isn't found in your water; the majority will be found in your media (as a side note tho, it's only been three days, so there shouldn't be a crazy amount of growth/sizeable population, so this could be a plus for you)

3. OP
    OP
    A

In my current fish tank, im using top fin bacteria supplement, but i will be getting prime tommrow, so i believe it also works as an bacteria starter, right?

Umm, i dont exactly know which filter i have, since it just came with the tank, but it says "Top Fin Element Filter", and here the link to my tank ;

Also, i am gonna use the filter whoch comes with the 10 gallon top fin tank, its like the one whoch hangs on the back of the tank....

Well, i got talked into doing a fish in cycle by the guy at petsmart, on the side note, i also have my summer break so i though that i cluld probably deal with regular water changes and challenges that comes up with it, i just got tkl eager to add in the fish, supported by the guy at petsmar :((((

Also, i was thinking bout getting 3 guppies to cycle my 10 gallon (all males), and than once cycled, add in 5 glofishes, does that sound right?

And are guppies hardy?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
  4. KinsKicks

Ah, I see. If you wanted to, the fishless cycle would be less work; you wouldn't have to do water changes every day and enjoy your summer more :). It's not very difficult

As for the media, I cant quite tell from the pic, but does the 5g have a filter cartridge that can be removed? If so; you can incorporate it into the 10g to help reserve your bacteria.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Yeah it does, but the problem is, the filter cartridge in the 10 gallon tank is a lot bigger than compared to the one i have now. So maybe i just kinda rinse them into the new tanks water??

Also, are guppies hardy fish?

Thank you so much for the help m8!!

6. KinsKicks

The beneficial bacteria "sticks" to your filter media; you won't really get anything from rinsing it and using the water.

And the filter in the 10g should have enough room to squeeze in the smaller filter cartridge; there's usually a decently sized gap if it's the cartridge-style filters. This will keep the Bacteria population you have and help it to seed the new one. If it really doesn't fit; you can get another bottle of bacterial starter.

As for the guppys, yes they are hardy; but maintain the process of the cycle so they don't get too stressed :)

And for the glofosh; I wouldn't recommend any of them for a 10g; they all are schooling fish and require more space than the 10g will allow for their size and activity.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Oh ok, i will try and see what i can do with cartridges...

And yeah, i might just get 2 more guppies after the cycle is done than, or some other kind if non schooling fish!!

Tysm for the help!!

8. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

No, prime isn't a bacterial starter. It's a water conditioner/dechlorinator that also detoxifies ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. So it's what you would put in your tap water to make it safe for the fish.

9. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

You should get some Prime if you do decide to do fish-in cycling - makes it much easier on your fish. :)

10. OP
    OP
    A

Hmm, so whenever i do water changes ( i usully do 35-50% water everyday to keep amonia levels low), so do i add prime everytime i add new water? So tachnically add prime every day?

Tha kyou!

11. KinsKicks

Yes, prime is your dechlorinator so the chlorines and chloramines do not hurt your fish (oops! I had missed the post about the bacteria starter thing :)).

It also helps out for when you have ammonia in your tap, for example, and makes it safe until your BB can process it completely.

12. OP
    OP
    A

Aight, thank you so much!! I got my 10 gallon tank today and am adding 3 male guppies tommrow, and than gloshes after cycling!!

Than you so much!!

13. KinsKicks

Awesome! I wish you the best of luck!

(And feel free to update :). Some of use like watching tanks progress)

14. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I don't think 3 guppies and 5 glofish would be a good idea. I have glofish and mine are already about 1.5 inches, plus I believe they're a schooling fish and do best with 6+. I feel like it would be crowded in a 10 gallon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice