Sweet Potato For Nitrate Removal

ThomasDickson

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So plant growth = nitrate removal

I saw my friend grow a sweet potato vine in a jar with Seasol and it grew like mad.

Last month I put a cutting from my friends sweet potato in a new tank with some old pothos and cycled media.

See the pic below for the growth, it is has gone crazy. It had 2 tiny sprouts when it started and now there are leaves everywhere. The pothos has hardly grown at all.

Could sweet potato be even better at nitrate removal than pothos? I’m not sure, this is a new tank. I’d love to hear other people’s experience or to experiment with sweet potato. The vine might draw nutrients from the seed instead of the water, would be interesting to know.

Attachments

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My mom grows sweet potatoes in her garden. She also likes to grow the vines in a jar and they do incredably well in simple tap water. I can’t imagine how much faster they’d grow in fish-tank water.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you explain how you put a sweet potato in your aquarium or was it just the end of the vine?

ThomasDickson

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tjander said:
Can you explain how you put a sweet potato in your aquarium or was it just the end of the vine?
Cut a sweet potato in half. You only need 1 half to grow it. Then submerge where you cut the potato and leave part exposed. Then it should sprout a vine on top and roots down the bottom. Note apparently their are two types of sweet potato, those that vine and those that don’t.

scarface said:
My mom grows sweet potatoes in her garden. She also likes to grow the vines in a jar and they do incredably well in simple tap water. I can’t imagine how much faster they’d grow in fish-tank water.
That’s my concern. If they grow fast in just “normal” water, maybe they won’t absorb nitrates. Did your mum add seasol or any nutrients for them?

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it a Concern that the potato would foul the water? I bet my shrimp would go nuts on it as a food source.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ThomasDickson said:
That’s my concern. If they grow fast in just “normal” water, maybe they won’t absorb nitrates. Did your mum add seasol or any nutrients for them?
I’m pretty certain she does not.
tjander said:
Is it a Concern that the potato would foul the water? I bet my shrimp would go nuts on it as a food source.
The vines, not the potato itself. Think of Pothos, excepty the vines are from the sweet potato plant.

I always mean to pick some up whenever I visit my parents, and I always forget.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I see now, I have never grown air plants so I am a bit uneducated on the types and methods to grow them in conjunction with an aquarium.
Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom